Mennonite Library & Archives Launch

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2002
      Calling all with Mennonite roots!

      Unsure if you have Mennonite roots? See some names listed on the Menno
      SIG page (http://www.afhs.ab.ca/events/mennonite_sig.html)

      The Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta is launching it's New
      Library & Archives (where the Menno SIG meets on the 3rd Sat of each
      month) this Saturday, October 5 with brief speeches at 1:30. Then, the
      afternoon will be spent with docents at several stations, introducing
      those who come to our:

      a) archives - describing both the archives development process and
      collection held (myself & Henry Goerzen)

      b) library - we have about 700 books on our shelves, with significant
      representation of congregational, local, & family histories; church
      register & immigration/settlement records; biographies; and school
      yearbooks (Peter Penner)

      c) genealogical databases on CD - there will be access to GRANDMA* I,
      II, & III; the Chortitza (Russia) Family Register covering 1880s-1920s
      (beta), and The Chortitzer (Manitoba) Mennonite Church Records,
      1876-1930 (Harold Friesen)

      d) photo identification - we've got a small collection of photographs
      that deserve additional documentation (who, when, where, why) and will
      be seeking copies of photos to add to our collection (Dick Neufeld)

      e) microfilm collection - there are about 20 reels of film that contain
      2-page records of Mennonites who arrived in Canada during 1923-30.
      These are detailed records showing full names, birthdates, birthplaces
      of those who arrived - and includes the full details of the journey
      (always two ships, the ports of entry, and the dates of arrival
      departure), including village of origin (TBA)

      Food - coffee, double-buns (zweiback), and plum squares (pflaumenplatz)

      * Genealogical Register ANd Databse of Mennonite Ancestry

      --
      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster

      mhsa@...