Doug Stobbs

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2005
      We have received word, thanks to Lois Sparling, that Doug Stobbs was admitted to Ottawa General Hospital on February 4 where he's in the good hands of the medical staff.

      I do have the hospital details if anyone would like to send a private message, a card was passed round at the Computer Sig meeting to send to him and we will have a card at the next monthly meeting.
      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...
      www.afhs.ab.ca
      (403)214-1447

    • Marlene Knott
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2005
        the original sender

        Hello Everyone!
        I was saddened to see Doug's obituary in yesterday's Herald - he had
        died March 25th. Many of you knew Doug much better than I did, but when
        I first joined the Society about 10 years ago, he stood out as an
        enthusiastic, helpful member and always had a great sense of humour! At
        that time, he WAS the Chinook, putting in many volunteer hours in it's
        production. As well, he did extensive cemetery recordings, especially
        in the Crowsnest Pass and was always helpful when we had enquiries
        about the area. Doug was an active member in the Computer SIG and the
        Atlantic SIG and as a result, you could always find him helping in some
        way at the Wild Rose seminars and the Computer demonstrations. He was
        quite a guy and i just wanted his life and his death acknowledged on
        dist-gen. We who knew him and our Society as a whole are all richer for
        his personality and his contributions.
        Go in peace, Doug!

        Marlene Knott

      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29, 2005
          the original sender

          Doug's son phoned me today to tell me that Doug had died. He also told
          me that there will be a memorial service in Calgary for Doug later this
          spring. Doug was in a very nice palliative care facility in or near
          Ottawa and was well cared for. His son and daughter were with him at
          the end. His children tell me that Doug was well aware of the support
          and well wishes from his friends and acquaintances of the AFHS and
          appreciated our concern.

          Lois