RE: CHINESE GENEALOGY

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2002
      This is not one that I have any knowledge of at all! - just in case you
      thought because I had a lengthy answer on the Chinese, I might know
      something about Japanese genealogy!

      :-)

      Xenia

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
        It's a limited set of suggested urls - but see:
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/geographic/geog.html#asia

        Also, I have an excellent book on one man's journey to family history
        discovery that was widely published - and likely available through the
        library.

        Ancestors: 900 Years in the life of a Chinese family by Frank Ching.
        ISBN 0-688-04461-1

        It's very well researched/written, as Frank Ching is a former
        correspondent with the New York times and Wall Street Journal.

        I think also, if the person can find a Tong (family society) in Calgary
        for his/her surname - they may be of signiifcant help.

        --
        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel, Webster

        and

        afhs@...

        Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

        FamilyRoots 2002
      • Judith Rempel
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
          Donna - the same url provided to Bill has a few Japanese links. It's
          even weaker, but a start.

          Certainly Japanese, Chinese and other Asians should still get to know
          the "getting started" basics about documenting what they know, and
          interviewing the eldest living members of the family. Much of Brian
          Hutchison's 16-chapter online book applies regardless of cultural
          origins. From our homepage, click on GETTING STARTED.

          For a full look into the geographic research suggestions on our site,
          click on GEOGRAPHIC GUIDES from the homepage.

          In some cases, the LDS church has research guides that area great help
          when starting (I've consulted theirs on the Philippines), but none are
          available for China or Japan acc/to their site. For the list, see
          http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp?Page=./research/Placep/Placep.asp&ActiveTab=Place

          --
          In Kinship,
          Judith Rempel, Webster
          rempel@...

          and

          afhs@...

          Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
          http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

          FamilyRoots 2002
        • Carol Lee
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
            Bill:

            If your friend will go to www.familysearch.org, click Family History Library
            tab at the right top of the page and then Family History Catalog in the
            purple area of the next page, she will come to a search menu for the Family
            History Library Catalog. Click the Location bar and then enter "China".
            There are 121 categories listed. I suspect that some may be empty at the
            moment, but I went into some and there were sources in them. We were
            advised a while ago that there are more records in Salt Lake which have not,
            as yet been put in the catalog, but that anyone interested can phone the
            Family History Library and find someone who can tell them what those
            materials are. It probably means going through several people to find the
            right one. If your friend is interested, I will try to help her get to the
            right person.

            There are also some interesting things that are coming from the LDS church.
            Some records are being extracted right now from private sources (old family
            records which have been discovered). Also, the Chinese government asked for
            help some time ago because they felt their records were deteriorating. A
            group from the Family History Library helped them get equipment to film
            their records and trained their people in how to do the filming. I believe
            that is now in progress. They have said they will make copies available to
            the Family History Library. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, but
            it is something to look forward to in the near future.

            PAF 5 is also being made available in Chinese, if that makes a difference.

            By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
            for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
            less to mainland China

            Carol Lee

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
              Hi Carol and Bill and all,

              Carol said:

              "By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
              for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
              less to mainland China"

              This is true - the resources I have been citing and the ones in the FHL are
              for mainland China. Taiwan, Hong Kong and other locations have to be
              researched in other sources... though if the family originated in mainland
              China before they went to the other countries, the database may still hold
              valuable information for them.

              à bientôt,

              Enter Xenia as a search term at http://globalgazette.net/ to find my column
              "Nos Racines Francaises"
              Local book and magazine sales:
              http://www.knowmap.com/age/
              Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
                Hi all,

                One amendment to what I said - according to the aforementioned site, they
                claim 96% of the world's Chinese population can be helped by the database. I
                would imagine that means at one time the people were in mainland China or
                else the book extends beyond. The company providing the database is in
                Singapore but the emphasis is on mainland Chinese vital records. The Chinese
                Kin databases cover North American as well as Asian and other countries
                information because it is submitted by family members from anywhere in the
                world.

                Now I will log off and go to bed while I think I still make sense.

                Bon nuit,

                Xenia

                > At last evening's AFHS presentation at the Public Library I was asked if
                > we could help a lady trying to do genealogy in China. I can find no
                > reference to any research sources to offer to her.
                >
                > Anyone have any information to share?
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Bill
                >
                > --
                > William A. Campbell
                > Calgary, Alberta, Canada
                >

                > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                > http://www.family-roots.ca

              • Frank Morrow
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
                  To both Carol & Xenia, your efforts on behalf of the Chinese researcher are to be commended. You have both
                  gone the extra mile. Your efforts are appreciated by me as an interested by-stander & a 'dist-gener'.
                  Now if only someone would help me climb the wall in Ireland..................

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
                      YES FRANK, they have gone the extra 10 miles. A great bouquet for AFHS, too.

                      Cheers

                      Bill

                      --
                      William A. Campbell
                      Calgary, Alberta, Canada

                    • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002
                        I will be out of the office until October 21/2002.

                        Sincerely yours,

                        Brian W. Hutchison, Esq.
                        B.Comm., C.M.A., C.G., FSA(Scot)
                        Chairman and President

                        GENFIND Research Associates, Inc. (Head Office):
                        977 Ogilvie Boulevard N.W.
                        Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6R 1J9
                        Tel/Fax: (780)439-4704
                        E-Mail: services@...
                        GEN-FIND Research Associates, Inc. (Calgary Office):
                        908-34th Street S.E.
                        Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2A 0Z6
                        Home-Page: http://www.gen-find.com

                        On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:46:17
                        Carol Lee wrote:
                        >Bill:
                        >
                        >If your friend will go to www.familysearch.org, click Family History Library
                        >tab at the right top of the page and then Family History Catalog in the
                        >purple area of the next page, she will come to a search menu for the Family
                        >History Library Catalog. Click the Location bar and then enter "China".
                        >There are 121 categories listed. I suspect that some may be empty at the
                        >moment, but I went into some and there were sources in them. We were
                        >advised a while ago that there are more records in Salt Lake which have not,
                        >as yet been put in the catalog, but that anyone interested can phone the
                        >Family History Library and find someone who can tell them what those
                        >materials are. It probably means going through several people to find the
                        >right one. If your friend is interested, I will try to help her get to the
                        >right person.
                        >
                        >There are also some interesting things that are coming from the LDS church.
                        >Some records are being extracted right now from private sources (old family
                        >records which have been discovered). Also, the Chinese government asked for
                        >help some time ago because they felt their records were deteriorating. A
                        >group from the Family History Library helped them get equipment to film
                        >their records and trained their people in how to do the filming. I believe
                        >that is now in progress. They have said they will make copies available to
                        >the Family History Library. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, but
                        >it is something to look forward to in the near future.
                        >
                        >PAF 5 is also being made available in Chinese, if that makes a difference.
                        >
                        >By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
                        >for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
                        >less to mainland China
                        >
                        >Carol Lee

                        Watch a championship game with Elway or McGwire.
                        Enter Now at http://champions.lycos.com
                      • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002