photographing grave markers

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2002
      Does anyone have any tips for photographing partially overgrown flat
      all-black markers at Burnsland Cemetery? Moved some of the grass and damp
      earth from the edges with my fingers but the result didn't look very tidy
      with grass clippings. A researcher in Florida is interested in the Luck
      family and also Alfred Caldwell who might have been buried at Union in Feb
      1911.

      Most of the photo tips that I've collected from the Internet are for upright
      stones and the pictures in the new book about Union Cemetery (Harry Sanders)
      are different styles.
      Elizabeth

    • Gordon Lane
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2002
        Hi Elizabeth,

        How about using rice, easy to clean up and the bits you do miss are
        bio-degradable. Whitewash works, so does flour but they are messy and
        you need plenty of water to do a good clean up job. With rice you use a
        dustpan and brush and re-use again.

        The only other way, I know of, is to do a brass rubbing and then
        photograph that.

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Treasurer
        Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        Family Roots 2002: http://www.family-roots.ca
        Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

      • Douglas Stobbs
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2002
          E.Rodier wrote:

          > Does anyone have any tips for photographing partially overgrown flat
          > all-black markers at Burnsland Cemetery? Moved some of the grass and damp

          When AFHS was recording Burnsland cemetery we used shaving cream.... with
          the blessing of the Cemetery Manager too I'll add.

          This worked fine and would for you I'm sure.

          The technique is to spray it on the letters and it will 'bubble up' and fill
          all the grooves etc.
          Then... have some cardboard handy (8.5 x 11" is great) and scrape the
          bulk of the cream away which will leave all the letters filled and clearly
          visible.
          Do this just before a rain and there isn't even a clean-up problem.

          Good luck.

          Doug.

          --
          {Douglas Stobbs, 2420 2nd Ave NW #308, Calgary AB Canada, T2N 0H4.

        • Larry McCool
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
            Elizabeth
            While researching in Ontario some years ago part of my equipment was a
            garden trowel, old scissors ( to cut grass ), gloves and a 2" fairly soft
            paint brush. Items worked well. and were easily carried in a shopping bag in
            the trunk

            Larry

            Larry & Doreen McCool
            Calgary, AB Canada
            Our new address is
            mccoollh@...
            > Does anyone have any tips for photographing partially overgrown flat
            > all-black markers at Burnsland Cemetery? Moved some of the grass and damp
            > earth from the edges with my fingers but the result didn't look very tidy
            > with grass clippings. A researcher in Florida is interested in the Luck
            > family and also Alfred Caldwell who might have been buried at Union in Feb
            > 1911.
            >
            > Most of the photo tips that I've collected from the Internet are for
            upright
            > stones and the pictures in the new book about Union Cemetery (Harry
            Sanders)
            > are different styles.
            > Elizabeth
            >

            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            > http://www.family-roots.ca

          • E.Rodier
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
              Thanks for the tips. I was on location about the time Larry's message
              arrived without the gloves trimming the grass and had a soft cloth to wipe
              away the damp earth. Same camera, mid-morning sun instead of dull overcast.
              All the lettering showed clearly and they looked like completely different
              markers.

              With enhancement in Paint Shop Pro, the retakes look like the lettering is
              indented and the background raised. The lettering is actually shiny black
              like the main part of the marker and the background of words is slightly
              indented/rough so it held a bit of mud from the rain and photographed as
              brown.

              Tiny Minolta digital camera can focus close and also has a zoom. Planning to
              try it for library work soon.