RE: Family History - Ukraine

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
      the list Address

      Hi Donna,

      I am the coordinator of the AFHS - Ukrainian SIG. As Judith Rempel already
      mentioned the ethnicity is important in starting the search. As I'm sure you
      know everyone in past and present Ukraine is not necessarily of Ukrainian
      ancestry.

      Also the religion is important because that affects where and how records
      were kept as most records pre-revolution were documented and kept by
      churches.

      There are civil records, such as military ones since every able-bodied man
      was required to put in an obligatory service term.

      For all of these records - whether affected by ethnicity, religion or
      civil - the primary knowledge needed before beginning the search overseas is
      to pinpoint the ancestral village including oblast and raion (sometimes
      spelled rayon). I spent years searching blindly eventually finding 5
      villages all with the same name as my grandparents' village. It wasn't until
      I found a document that showed the oblast and raion that I was able to
      correctly identify the exact village and then to find records pertaining to
      my family in the Ukraine. Also some records depending upon the time frame
      and location can be found in other surrounding (former ruling) countries,
      such as Austria, Poland, and Russia.

      For more information on locating Ukrainian and other East European roots see
      my slides on the AFHS website - http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/talks/

      Also I gave a longer talk at Family Roots 2004 on East European research.
      That should be available in the AFHS Family Roots 2004 CD but I do not see
      where this can be purchased. Perhaps it is not available yet. If it is, can
      someone let us know.

      Meanwhile if your friend wants to join our virtual SIG, have him or her
      email me and include the family names, location and any other information
      that may help him or her connect to others who may have the same ancestors
      or come from the same ancestral village. Already someone has connected to
      another person in our group who could help her with her Ukrainian roots.

      Xenia Stanford (president@...)
      Coordinator Ukrainian SIG
      Metis SIG, French SIG
      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
        the list Address

        Hi All,
        > the list Address

        I noticed this message and saw Xenia' comment regarding Family Roots 2004
        Syllabus and whether it was available.

        The syllabus is available on the net and can be purchased for $ 5.00. Please
        contact me or send me $5.00 and I will give you the link and the password to
        obtain it on the web.

        Regards,

        Alan Peers
        Registration Chair for Family Roots 2004
        alanpeers@...