Re: CHINESE GENEALOGY

  • KIRKWOOD DONNA
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2002
      Hi Bill,

      In a similar vein, I have had a recent discussion re Japanese genealogy
      and their records. I didn't have an answer.

      Donna Kirkwood

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 2002
        Hi Bill,

        Oddly enough I have some experience in directing people to Chinese resources
        largely due to discussing the matter with my son's first long-term
        girlfriend's family.

        The genealogies of Chinese families are kept by clan name and for each clan
        a genealogical record was kept of the names, relationship and their deeds
        (as in feats). These genealogical or ancestral histories are known as "Jia
        pu" or "Zupu". Many of them can be found documented in manuscripts.
        Apparently a woman has indexed 200 such histories and listed the repository
        in which each can be found. This is one of several sources I tried to find
        in my notes before responding to your question. I have not yet found the
        title and author of this book in my notes but I will let you know when I do.

        The good news is some of these family histories go back thousands of years.
        The earliest one is that of the Shang Dynasty which dates back to about
        1523-1028BC. The use of family names (what we call "surnames") was well
        established among the Chinese culture dating back to 2800 B.C. (about the
        same time the emperors began to order census taking) - long before Europeans
        considered these necessary. Although Chinese women keep their family names
        from cradle to coffin even after marriage (as do the French) and they are
        sometimes listed in the clan genealogies, little importance was put on women
        in the society and the genealogical records. Therefore, it is very difficult
        to trace a woman's line back prior to the last couple of centuries.

        Unfortunately there are other difficulties with the records: 1. families
        were sometimes were forced to change names (if their name conflicted with
        that of an emperor, which no one else was then allowed to use, their name
        had to be changed), 2. the dynasty history may well go back to sometime B.C.
        but it is the last 1000-3000 years that it may be next to impossible to
        connect, 3. in a land of 1.2 billion people some 70-80% bear one of the most
        popular 100 surnames/family names and 4. everyone in an entire village might
        be known by the same family name and the given names of famous ancestors are
        used over among relatives (names of children often follow by birth order
        e.g. 1st son named after father, 2nd after grandfather and so on). So it is
        not even possible to distinguish Wang Lu, son of Wang Hwa (and we all know,
        Chinese names are family name first followed by given or individual name)
        since the village or clan may have many Wang Lu who are sons of different
        men named Wang Hwa. Since the mother's name is not used to help distinguish
        one Wang Lu from another who has a father with the same name, the
        generations must be traced back until the difference is found. Very
        confusing.

        Some years ago (at least 10-15) some group began compiling a database of all
        the vital records of mainland China for the last 3000 years. If people can
        find the trail back 3000 years they usually should be able to connect to the
        clan records. Apparently this database is free right now as it is in its
        infancy but will cost sometime in the future. The problem to remember is the
        sheer size of the records due to the number of people. So again the problem
        of people having the same names from the same village has a high probability
        of being encountered. The record keeping was apparently quite advanced and
        regulated well before any European or other countries. The difficulty comes
        from China being the country with the highest population in the world.

        I have lost the information on how to access the database. I will have to
        look through my notes until I find it. When I first learned of it, it was
        not online but it may be now. Before one had to write away for the record.
        Possibly it is now online.

        Meanwhile there are resources by provinces or districts of China. Each
        province or district has a (human volunteer) guide to help locate resources
        and family records. The list and links to the guides are at
        http://genealogy.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.root
        sweb.com%2F%7Echnwgw%2F

        This is the ChinaGenWeb and is part of the AsiaGenWeb. I have been a bit
        out-of-touch with these resources because it has been some time since I was
        asked for help in this area.

        Another resource is Chinese Roots at http://www.chineseroots.com/ which at
        this time is down for revamping (they call it).

        I will see if I can find the link or mention of the Chinese vital records
        database and forward that. The last time I directed someone to it, it was
        available through the Family History Library in Salt Lake but I believe only
        as printouts of specific page.

        I will see if I can find anything further to help and also see if I can find
        the database and book listing the 200 family name histories.

        a bientot,

        Enter Xenia as a search term at http://globalgazette.net/ to find my column
        "Nos Racines Francaises"
        Local book and magazine sales:
        http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2002
          This is not one that I have any knowledge of at all! - just in case you
          thought because I had a lengthy answer on the Chinese, I might know
          something about Japanese genealogy!

          :-)

          Xenia

          william campbell wrote:

          > Hi Folks:
          >
          > At last evening's AFHS presentation at the Public Library I was asked if
          > we could help a lady trying to do genealogy in China. I can find no
          > reference to any research sources to offer to her.
          >
          > Anyone have any information to share?
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Bill
          >
          > --
          > William A. Campbell
          > Calgary, Alberta, Canada
          >
          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          > http://www.family-roots.ca

        • Judith Rempel
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
            It's a limited set of suggested urls - but see:
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/geographic/geog.html#asia

            Also, I have an excellent book on one man's journey to family history
            discovery that was widely published - and likely available through the
            library.

            Ancestors: 900 Years in the life of a Chinese family by Frank Ching.
            ISBN 0-688-04461-1

            It's very well researched/written, as Frank Ching is a former
            correspondent with the New York times and Wall Street Journal.

            I think also, if the person can find a Tong (family society) in Calgary
            for his/her surname - they may be of signiifcant help.

            --
            In Kinship,
            Judith Rempel, Webster

            and

            afhs@...

            Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

            FamilyRoots 2002
          • Judith Rempel
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
              Donna - the same url provided to Bill has a few Japanese links. It's
              even weaker, but a start.

              Certainly Japanese, Chinese and other Asians should still get to know
              the "getting started" basics about documenting what they know, and
              interviewing the eldest living members of the family. Much of Brian
              Hutchison's 16-chapter online book applies regardless of cultural
              origins. From our homepage, click on GETTING STARTED.

              For a full look into the geographic research suggestions on our site,
              click on GEOGRAPHIC GUIDES from the homepage.

              In some cases, the LDS church has research guides that area great help
              when starting (I've consulted theirs on the Philippines), but none are
              available for China or Japan acc/to their site. For the list, see
              http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp?Page=./research/Placep/Placep.asp&ActiveTab=Place

              --
              In Kinship,
              Judith Rempel, Webster
              rempel@...

              and

              afhs@...

              Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
              http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

              FamilyRoots 2002
            • Carol Lee
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
                Bill:

                If your friend will go to www.familysearch.org, click Family History Library
                tab at the right top of the page and then Family History Catalog in the
                purple area of the next page, she will come to a search menu for the Family
                History Library Catalog. Click the Location bar and then enter "China".
                There are 121 categories listed. I suspect that some may be empty at the
                moment, but I went into some and there were sources in them. We were
                advised a while ago that there are more records in Salt Lake which have not,
                as yet been put in the catalog, but that anyone interested can phone the
                Family History Library and find someone who can tell them what those
                materials are. It probably means going through several people to find the
                right one. If your friend is interested, I will try to help her get to the
                right person.

                There are also some interesting things that are coming from the LDS church.
                Some records are being extracted right now from private sources (old family
                records which have been discovered). Also, the Chinese government asked for
                help some time ago because they felt their records were deteriorating. A
                group from the Family History Library helped them get equipment to film
                their records and trained their people in how to do the filming. I believe
                that is now in progress. They have said they will make copies available to
                the Family History Library. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, but
                it is something to look forward to in the near future.

                PAF 5 is also being made available in Chinese, if that makes a difference.

                By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
                for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
                less to mainland China

                Carol Lee

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
                  Hi Carol and Bill and all,

                  Carol said:

                  "By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
                  for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
                  less to mainland China"

                  This is true - the resources I have been citing and the ones in the FHL are
                  for mainland China. Taiwan, Hong Kong and other locations have to be
                  researched in other sources... though if the family originated in mainland
                  China before they went to the other countries, the database may still hold
                  valuable information for them.

                  à bientôt,

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
                    Hi all,

                    One amendment to what I said - according to the aforementioned site, they
                    claim 96% of the world's Chinese population can be helped by the database. I
                    would imagine that means at one time the people were in mainland China or
                    else the book extends beyond. The company providing the database is in
                    Singapore but the emphasis is on mainland Chinese vital records. The Chinese
                    Kin databases cover North American as well as Asian and other countries
                    information because it is submitted by family members from anywhere in the
                    world.

                    Now I will log off and go to bed while I think I still make sense.

                    Bon nuit,

                    Xenia

                    > At last evening's AFHS presentation at the Public Library I was asked if
                    > we could help a lady trying to do genealogy in China. I can find no
                    > reference to any research sources to offer to her.
                    >
                    > Anyone have any information to share?
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Bill
                    >
                    > --
                    > William A. Campbell
                    > Calgary, Alberta, Canada
                    >

                    > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                    > http://www.family-roots.ca

                  • Frank Morrow
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
                      To both Carol & Xenia, your efforts on behalf of the Chinese researcher are to be commended. You have both
                      gone the extra mile. Your efforts are appreciated by me as an interested by-stander & a 'dist-gener'.
                      Now if only someone would help me climb the wall in Ireland..................

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
                        Hi Frank,

                        What wall are you wishing to climb - I guess I should say which time period
                        and which county?

                        à bientôt,

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
                          YES FRANK, they have gone the extra 10 miles. A great bouquet for AFHS, too.

                          Cheers

                          Bill

                          --
                          William A. Campbell
                          Calgary, Alberta, Canada

                        • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002
                            I will be out of the office until October 21/2002.

                            Sincerely yours,

                            Brian W. Hutchison, Esq.
                            B.Comm., C.M.A., C.G., FSA(Scot)
                            Chairman and President

                            GENFIND Research Associates, Inc. (Head Office):
                            977 Ogilvie Boulevard N.W.
                            Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6R 1J9
                            Tel/Fax: (780)439-4704
                            E-Mail: services@...
                            GEN-FIND Research Associates, Inc. (Calgary Office):
                            908-34th Street S.E.
                            Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2A 0Z6
                            Home-Page: http://www.gen-find.com

                            On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:46:17
                            Carol Lee wrote:
                            >Bill:
                            >
                            >If your friend will go to www.familysearch.org, click Family History Library
                            >tab at the right top of the page and then Family History Catalog in the
                            >purple area of the next page, she will come to a search menu for the Family
                            >History Library Catalog. Click the Location bar and then enter "China".
                            >There are 121 categories listed. I suspect that some may be empty at the
                            >moment, but I went into some and there were sources in them. We were
                            >advised a while ago that there are more records in Salt Lake which have not,
                            >as yet been put in the catalog, but that anyone interested can phone the
                            >Family History Library and find someone who can tell them what those
                            >materials are. It probably means going through several people to find the
                            >right one. If your friend is interested, I will try to help her get to the
                            >right person.
                            >
                            >There are also some interesting things that are coming from the LDS church.
                            >Some records are being extracted right now from private sources (old family
                            >records which have been discovered). Also, the Chinese government asked for
                            >help some time ago because they felt their records were deteriorating. A
                            >group from the Family History Library helped them get equipment to film
                            >their records and trained their people in how to do the filming. I believe
                            >that is now in progress. They have said they will make copies available to
                            >the Family History Library. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, but
                            >it is something to look forward to in the near future.
                            >
                            >PAF 5 is also being made available in Chinese, if that makes a difference.
                            >
                            >By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
                            >for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
                            >less to mainland China
                            >
                            >Carol Lee

                            Watch a championship game with Elway or McGwire.
                            Enter Now at http://champions.lycos.com
                          • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002