RE: Family History - Ukraine

  • Judith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
      the list Address

      Critical question:

      Is the family Ukrainian, Russian, Jewish, Ger-Rus (Luth/Cath) or Mennonite?

      Then answer will suggest different kinds of resources.

      If you don't know - identifying the surname(s) &/or specific geography would
      be a start/provide clues.

      Judith Rempel
      Family Surnames: Rempel, Peters, Kaethler, Stobbe, Isaak, & Fischer
      rempel@...
      www.rempelfamily.ca

      and

      MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator
      queries@...
      www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
        the list Address

        Hi Donna,

        I am the coordinator of the AFHS - Ukrainian SIG. As Judith Rempel already
        mentioned the ethnicity is important in starting the search. As I'm sure you
        know everyone in past and present Ukraine is not necessarily of Ukrainian
        ancestry.

        Also the religion is important because that affects where and how records
        were kept as most records pre-revolution were documented and kept by
        churches.

        There are civil records, such as military ones since every able-bodied man
        was required to put in an obligatory service term.

        For all of these records - whether affected by ethnicity, religion or
        civil - the primary knowledge needed before beginning the search overseas is
        to pinpoint the ancestral village including oblast and raion (sometimes
        spelled rayon). I spent years searching blindly eventually finding 5
        villages all with the same name as my grandparents' village. It wasn't until
        I found a document that showed the oblast and raion that I was able to
        correctly identify the exact village and then to find records pertaining to
        my family in the Ukraine. Also some records depending upon the time frame
        and location can be found in other surrounding (former ruling) countries,
        such as Austria, Poland, and Russia.

        For more information on locating Ukrainian and other East European roots see
        my slides on the AFHS website - http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/talks/

        Also I gave a longer talk at Family Roots 2004 on East European research.
        That should be available in the AFHS Family Roots 2004 CD but I do not see
        where this can be purchased. Perhaps it is not available yet. If it is, can
        someone let us know.

        Meanwhile if your friend wants to join our virtual SIG, have him or her
        email me and include the family names, location and any other information
        that may help him or her connect to others who may have the same ancestors
        or come from the same ancestral village. Already someone has connected to
        another person in our group who could help her with her Ukrainian roots.

        Xenia Stanford (president@...)
        Coordinator Ukrainian SIG
        Metis SIG, French SIG
        Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564
        Alberta Family Histories Society
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
          the list Address

          Hi All,
          > the list Address

          I noticed this message and saw Xenia' comment regarding Family Roots 2004
          Syllabus and whether it was available.

          The syllabus is available on the net and can be purchased for $ 5.00. Please
          contact me or send me $5.00 and I will give you the link and the password to
          obtain it on the web.

          Regards,

          Alan Peers
          Registration Chair for Family Roots 2004
          alanpeers@...