Reunion users Group

  • Mary Arthur
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
      the list Address

      Please remember that the next Reunion Users Group
      Meeting is 17 Feb at 7pm.

      you can always reach me here or at ar109@...
      Support Care2 Email: 1,400 whales may be killed this year. Take action! http://www.care2.com/go/z/17954

    • Donna Mollin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
        the list Address

        Hi,
        We have a family friend who is trying to search his family from the
        Ukraine. We don't seem to have anyone here that seems to have experience
        in this area, however, they do have someone who has done their family in
        Germany and Russia. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
        Thanks,
        Donna
        Victoria, B.C.

      • Judith
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
          the list Address

          Critical question:

          Is the family Ukrainian, Russian, Jewish, Ger-Rus (Luth/Cath) or Mennonite?

          Then answer will suggest different kinds of resources.

          If you don't know - identifying the surname(s) &/or specific geography would
          be a start/provide clues.

          Judith Rempel
          Family Surnames: Rempel, Peters, Kaethler, Stobbe, Isaak, & Fischer
          rempel@...
          www.rempelfamily.ca

          and

          MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator
          queries@...
          www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
            the list Address

            Hi Donna,

            I am the coordinator of the AFHS - Ukrainian SIG. As Judith Rempel already
            mentioned the ethnicity is important in starting the search. As I'm sure you
            know everyone in past and present Ukraine is not necessarily of Ukrainian
            ancestry.

            Also the religion is important because that affects where and how records
            were kept as most records pre-revolution were documented and kept by
            churches.

            There are civil records, such as military ones since every able-bodied man
            was required to put in an obligatory service term.

            For all of these records - whether affected by ethnicity, religion or
            civil - the primary knowledge needed before beginning the search overseas is
            to pinpoint the ancestral village including oblast and raion (sometimes
            spelled rayon). I spent years searching blindly eventually finding 5
            villages all with the same name as my grandparents' village. It wasn't until
            I found a document that showed the oblast and raion that I was able to
            correctly identify the exact village and then to find records pertaining to
            my family in the Ukraine. Also some records depending upon the time frame
            and location can be found in other surrounding (former ruling) countries,
            such as Austria, Poland, and Russia.

            For more information on locating Ukrainian and other East European roots see
            my slides on the AFHS website - http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/talks/

            Also I gave a longer talk at Family Roots 2004 on East European research.
            That should be available in the AFHS Family Roots 2004 CD but I do not see
            where this can be purchased. Perhaps it is not available yet. If it is, can
            someone let us know.

            Meanwhile if your friend wants to join our virtual SIG, have him or her
            email me and include the family names, location and any other information
            that may help him or her connect to others who may have the same ancestors
            or come from the same ancestral village. Already someone has connected to
            another person in our group who could help her with her Ukrainian roots.

            Xenia Stanford (president@...)
            Coordinator Ukrainian SIG
            Metis SIG, French SIG
            Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564
            Alberta Family Histories Society
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
              the list Address

              Hi All,
              > the list Address

              I noticed this message and saw Xenia' comment regarding Family Roots 2004
              Syllabus and whether it was available.

              The syllabus is available on the net and can be purchased for $ 5.00. Please
              contact me or send me $5.00 and I will give you the link and the password to
              obtain it on the web.

              Regards,

              Alan Peers
              Registration Chair for Family Roots 2004
              alanpeers@...