CHINESE GENEALOGY

  • william campbell
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2002
      Hi Folks:

      At last evening's AFHS presentation at the Public Library I was asked if
      we could help a lady trying to do genealogy in China. I can find no
      reference to any research sources to offer to her.

      Anyone have any information to share?

      Cheers

      Bill

      --
      William A. Campbell
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada

    • KIRKWOOD DONNA
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 2002
        Hi Bill,

        In a similar vein, I have had a recent discussion re Japanese genealogy
        and their records. I didn't have an answer.

        Donna Kirkwood

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2002
          Hi Bill,

          Oddly enough I have some experience in directing people to Chinese resources
          largely due to discussing the matter with my son's first long-term
          girlfriend's family.

          The genealogies of Chinese families are kept by clan name and for each clan
          a genealogical record was kept of the names, relationship and their deeds
          (as in feats). These genealogical or ancestral histories are known as "Jia
          pu" or "Zupu". Many of them can be found documented in manuscripts.
          Apparently a woman has indexed 200 such histories and listed the repository
          in which each can be found. This is one of several sources I tried to find
          in my notes before responding to your question. I have not yet found the
          title and author of this book in my notes but I will let you know when I do.

          The good news is some of these family histories go back thousands of years.
          The earliest one is that of the Shang Dynasty which dates back to about
          1523-1028BC. The use of family names (what we call "surnames") was well
          established among the Chinese culture dating back to 2800 B.C. (about the
          same time the emperors began to order census taking) - long before Europeans
          considered these necessary. Although Chinese women keep their family names
          from cradle to coffin even after marriage (as do the French) and they are
          sometimes listed in the clan genealogies, little importance was put on women
          in the society and the genealogical records. Therefore, it is very difficult
          to trace a woman's line back prior to the last couple of centuries.

          Unfortunately there are other difficulties with the records: 1. families
          were sometimes were forced to change names (if their name conflicted with
          that of an emperor, which no one else was then allowed to use, their name
          had to be changed), 2. the dynasty history may well go back to sometime B.C.
          but it is the last 1000-3000 years that it may be next to impossible to
          connect, 3. in a land of 1.2 billion people some 70-80% bear one of the most
          popular 100 surnames/family names and 4. everyone in an entire village might
          be known by the same family name and the given names of famous ancestors are
          used over among relatives (names of children often follow by birth order
          e.g. 1st son named after father, 2nd after grandfather and so on). So it is
          not even possible to distinguish Wang Lu, son of Wang Hwa (and we all know,
          Chinese names are family name first followed by given or individual name)
          since the village or clan may have many Wang Lu who are sons of different
          men named Wang Hwa. Since the mother's name is not used to help distinguish
          one Wang Lu from another who has a father with the same name, the
          generations must be traced back until the difference is found. Very
          confusing.

          Some years ago (at least 10-15) some group began compiling a database of all
          the vital records of mainland China for the last 3000 years. If people can
          find the trail back 3000 years they usually should be able to connect to the
          clan records. Apparently this database is free right now as it is in its
          infancy but will cost sometime in the future. The problem to remember is the
          sheer size of the records due to the number of people. So again the problem
          of people having the same names from the same village has a high probability
          of being encountered. The record keeping was apparently quite advanced and
          regulated well before any European or other countries. The difficulty comes
          from China being the country with the highest population in the world.

          I have lost the information on how to access the database. I will have to
          look through my notes until I find it. When I first learned of it, it was
          not online but it may be now. Before one had to write away for the record.
          Possibly it is now online.

          Meanwhile there are resources by provinces or districts of China. Each
          province or district has a (human volunteer) guide to help locate resources
          and family records. The list and links to the guides are at
          http://genealogy.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.root
          sweb.com%2F%7Echnwgw%2F

          This is the ChinaGenWeb and is part of the AsiaGenWeb. I have been a bit
          out-of-touch with these resources because it has been some time since I was
          asked for help in this area.

          Another resource is Chinese Roots at http://www.chineseroots.com/ which at
          this time is down for revamping (they call it).

          I will see if I can find the link or mention of the Chinese vital records
          database and forward that. The last time I directed someone to it, it was
          available through the Family History Library in Salt Lake but I believe only
          as printouts of specific page.

          I will see if I can find anything further to help and also see if I can find
          the database and book listing the 200 family name histories.

          a bientot,

          Enter Xenia as a search term at http://globalgazette.net/ to find my column
          "Nos Racines Francaises"
          Local book and magazine sales:
          http://www.knowmap.com/age/
          Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 3, 2002
            This is not one that I have any knowledge of at all! - just in case you
            thought because I had a lengthy answer on the Chinese, I might know
            something about Japanese genealogy!

            :-)

            Xenia

            william campbell wrote:

            > Hi Folks:
            >
            > At last evening's AFHS presentation at the Public Library I was asked if
            > we could help a lady trying to do genealogy in China. I can find no
            > reference to any research sources to offer to her.
            >
            > Anyone have any information to share?
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Bill
            >
            > --
            > William A. Campbell
            > Calgary, Alberta, Canada
            >
            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            > http://www.family-roots.ca

          • Judith Rempel
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
              It's a limited set of suggested urls - but see:
              http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/geographic/geog.html#asia

              Also, I have an excellent book on one man's journey to family history
              discovery that was widely published - and likely available through the
              library.

              Ancestors: 900 Years in the life of a Chinese family by Frank Ching.
              ISBN 0-688-04461-1

              It's very well researched/written, as Frank Ching is a former
              correspondent with the New York times and Wall Street Journal.

              I think also, if the person can find a Tong (family society) in Calgary
              for his/her surname - they may be of signiifcant help.

              --
              In Kinship,
              Judith Rempel, Webster

              and

              afhs@...

              Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
              http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

              FamilyRoots 2002
            • Judith Rempel
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
                Donna - the same url provided to Bill has a few Japanese links. It's
                even weaker, but a start.

                Certainly Japanese, Chinese and other Asians should still get to know
                the "getting started" basics about documenting what they know, and
                interviewing the eldest living members of the family. Much of Brian
                Hutchison's 16-chapter online book applies regardless of cultural
                origins. From our homepage, click on GETTING STARTED.

                For a full look into the geographic research suggestions on our site,
                click on GEOGRAPHIC GUIDES from the homepage.

                In some cases, the LDS church has research guides that area great help
                when starting (I've consulted theirs on the Philippines), but none are
                available for China or Japan acc/to their site. For the list, see
                http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp?Page=./research/Placep/Placep.asp&ActiveTab=Place

                --
                In Kinship,
                Judith Rempel, Webster
                rempel@...

                and

                afhs@...

                Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

                FamilyRoots 2002
              • Carol Lee
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
                  Bill:

                  If your friend will go to www.familysearch.org, click Family History Library
                  tab at the right top of the page and then Family History Catalog in the
                  purple area of the next page, she will come to a search menu for the Family
                  History Library Catalog. Click the Location bar and then enter "China".
                  There are 121 categories listed. I suspect that some may be empty at the
                  moment, but I went into some and there were sources in them. We were
                  advised a while ago that there are more records in Salt Lake which have not,
                  as yet been put in the catalog, but that anyone interested can phone the
                  Family History Library and find someone who can tell them what those
                  materials are. It probably means going through several people to find the
                  right one. If your friend is interested, I will try to help her get to the
                  right person.

                  There are also some interesting things that are coming from the LDS church.
                  Some records are being extracted right now from private sources (old family
                  records which have been discovered). Also, the Chinese government asked for
                  help some time ago because they felt their records were deteriorating. A
                  group from the Family History Library helped them get equipment to film
                  their records and trained their people in how to do the filming. I believe
                  that is now in progress. They have said they will make copies available to
                  the Family History Library. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, but
                  it is something to look forward to in the near future.

                  PAF 5 is also being made available in Chinese, if that makes a difference.

                  By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
                  for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
                  less to mainland China

                  Carol Lee

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
                    Hi Carol and Bill and all,

                    Carol said:

                    "By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
                    for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
                    less to mainland China"

                    This is true - the resources I have been citing and the ones in the FHL are
                    for mainland China. Taiwan, Hong Kong and other locations have to be
                    researched in other sources... though if the family originated in mainland
                    China before they went to the other countries, the database may still hold
                    valuable information for them.

                    à bientôt,

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
                      Hi all,

                      One amendment to what I said - according to the aforementioned site, they
                      claim 96% of the world's Chinese population can be helped by the database. I
                      would imagine that means at one time the people were in mainland China or
                      else the book extends beyond. The company providing the database is in
                      Singapore but the emphasis is on mainland Chinese vital records. The Chinese
                      Kin databases cover North American as well as Asian and other countries
                      information because it is submitted by family members from anywhere in the
                      world.

                      Now I will log off and go to bed while I think I still make sense.

                      Bon nuit,

                      Xenia

                      > At last evening's AFHS presentation at the Public Library I was asked if
                      > we could help a lady trying to do genealogy in China. I can find no
                      > reference to any research sources to offer to her.
                      >
                      > Anyone have any information to share?
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Bill
                      >
                      > --
                      > William A. Campbell
                      > Calgary, Alberta, Canada
                      >

                      > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                      > http://www.family-roots.ca

                    • Frank Morrow
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
                        To both Carol & Xenia, your efforts on behalf of the Chinese researcher are to be commended. You have both
                        gone the extra mile. Your efforts are appreciated by me as an interested by-stander & a 'dist-gener'.
                        Now if only someone would help me climb the wall in Ireland..................

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
                          Hi Frank,

                          What wall are you wishing to climb - I guess I should say which time period
                          and which county?

                          à bientôt,

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
                            YES FRANK, they have gone the extra 10 miles. A great bouquet for AFHS, too.

                            Cheers

                            Bill

                            --
                            William A. Campbell
                            Calgary, Alberta, Canada

                          • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002
                              I will be out of the office until October 21/2002.

                              Sincerely yours,

                              Brian W. Hutchison, Esq.
                              B.Comm., C.M.A., C.G., FSA(Scot)
                              Chairman and President

                              GENFIND Research Associates, Inc. (Head Office):
                              977 Ogilvie Boulevard N.W.
                              Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6R 1J9
                              Tel/Fax: (780)439-4704
                              E-Mail: services@...
                              GEN-FIND Research Associates, Inc. (Calgary Office):
                              908-34th Street S.E.
                              Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2A 0Z6
                              Home-Page: http://www.gen-find.com

                              On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:46:17
                              Carol Lee wrote:
                              >Bill:
                              >
                              >If your friend will go to www.familysearch.org, click Family History Library
                              >tab at the right top of the page and then Family History Catalog in the
                              >purple area of the next page, she will come to a search menu for the Family
                              >History Library Catalog. Click the Location bar and then enter "China".
                              >There are 121 categories listed. I suspect that some may be empty at the
                              >moment, but I went into some and there were sources in them. We were
                              >advised a while ago that there are more records in Salt Lake which have not,
                              >as yet been put in the catalog, but that anyone interested can phone the
                              >Family History Library and find someone who can tell them what those
                              >materials are. It probably means going through several people to find the
                              >right one. If your friend is interested, I will try to help her get to the
                              >right person.
                              >
                              >There are also some interesting things that are coming from the LDS church.
                              >Some records are being extracted right now from private sources (old family
                              >records which have been discovered). Also, the Chinese government asked for
                              >help some time ago because they felt their records were deteriorating. A
                              >group from the Family History Library helped them get equipment to film
                              >their records and trained their people in how to do the filming. I believe
                              >that is now in progress. They have said they will make copies available to
                              >the Family History Library. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, but
                              >it is something to look forward to in the near future.
                              >
                              >PAF 5 is also being made available in Chinese, if that makes a difference.
                              >
                              >By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
                              >for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
                              >less to mainland China
                              >
                              >Carol Lee

                              Watch a championship game with Elway or McGwire.
                              Enter Now at http://champions.lycos.com
                            • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002