Archive CD Books

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2005
      I have used the English version before it came to Canada and have had no issues with them but as always it's buyer beware

      http://www.archivecdbooks.ca

      3 NEW CANADIAN RELEASE:
      (To find a book on our web site http://www.archivecdbooks.ca take a note of the catalogue number - or use the “copy” function - go to the web site, click on the “Search Page” link and enter, or “paste,” the number into the “Product Number” box. Hit “Search” and then “More” and you will be in a position to reread the description or to place your order. There is frequently more information about the books available on the web site.)
      All prices in $Cdn.

      * The Ottawa City Directory - 1926
      CA0082: $35.00

      A very complete and useful directory of Ottawa and Hull for 1926 (which was the year Ottawa celebrated its centennial) and also including the (then) outlying districts.
      The directory gives an alphabetical list of all business firms and private citizens; a classified business and a miscellaneous directory; and a complete street guide showing the occupier of every building on every street and the intersecting cross streets.
      To quote from the directory’s introduction:
      "No other medium on earth can convey so complete and comprehensive an index of the city, its various industries, its business, educational and religious institutions, its social life and its people. No other medium can tell so fully of its wonderful growth, its opportunities and its possibilities for the future."
      A really valuable resource for Ottawa - Hull researchers.
      Please see our web site description for the outlying districts included in directory.

      * The Tragic Story of the Empress of Ireland (and other great sea disasters) - 1914
      CA0092: $19.00 Introductory special price of $13.00
      The story of the ill fated Empress of Ireland seems some how to have been largely overshadowed by the similar ill fate of the Titanic but here is a book which not only provides a detailed, contemporary, account of the tragic end of the Empress but also contains an account of the Titanic tragedy with the benefit of the 2 years and 1 1/2 months of perspective, which is the surprisingly brief period separating these two (somewhat similar) marine disasters.
      It may be that the Empress' sinking was a Canadian disaster, taking place in Canadian waters and taking the lives of passengers and crew who were mainly Canadian which is the reason that the story has not received the same international attention as that of the Titanic. Yet in it's proportions, 1,477 passengers, 1,012 of whom were killed, it affected the lives of at least 2/3 as many as that of the sinking of the Titanic. A huge loss of life for a single peace time disaster.
      The book provides survivor lists and death rolls for both the Empress of Ireland and for the Titanic, or it does so for first and second class passengers (various excuses are offered for not listing the third class passengers and the crew.) We have extracted these lists and made them available on our web site so you can check for your relatives before investing in the CD.
      Please see our web site for a more complete description of this book.

      * Irish (Canada & USA) Song Books, Erin-go-Bragh & Faugh-A Ballagh -c1873
      CA0095: $19.00 Introductory special price of $13.00
      When we were first offered this "old song book" we were uncertain if it would be suitable for our publications. We finally decided to ask Mary Yeatman Robinson, the book's current custodian, to loan it to us because we could not find any trace it on any of our normal references for old and rare books.
      When it arrived and we'd had time to look at it a little harder it became clear that; first it was two separate song books bound together in one home made cover, and that there was no trace of either of them in any of our normal reference sources. (There are plenty of song books using the same names but none with these collections.) That, together with their rather advanced state of dilapidation, decided us that what was needed was a rescue mission, not just the normal "copy to make it more available."
      "Faugh-a-Ballagh" is the anglicized version of the phrase "Clear the Way" which has long been the war cry of battling Irishmen but has become closely associated with the Royal Irish Fusiliers. We suspect it is this connection which may have originated these books as the Royal Irish Fusiliers spent a lot of time fighting for the British cause here in North America - both in Canada and in the USA, many of their rank choosing to stay on when their term of service had ended. Many of the songs in this latter book are clearly the songs of a fighting group and there are a couple of direct references to the military group and the battle of Fredericksburg.
      We have made the titles searchable (but not the text.) If you are proud of your Irish heritage, or just enjoy traditional Irish songs, this is a collection which came close to disappearing forever.
      Please see our web site for a more complete description of this book.

      4 COMING SOON:

      * The Royal Montreal Regiment, 1925 - 1945
      Our publication of CA0100, The Royal Montreal Regiment, 14th Battalion C.E.F. 1914-1925 prompted one of our friends to write and offer to loan us the second volume of the Regimental history which covers the period from 1925 to 1945. We, of course, jumped at the chance and it is the next book scheduled for scanning. (See the “News and Gossip” for more exciting news on this topic.)

      * The Ottawa City Directory - 1909
      Yes another one! We received an e-mail from a friend of Archive CD Books just a day or so ago offering to loan us some books and one was the 1909 Ottawa directory. We spent almost a year trying to find the first one and a second turns up on almost the same day we publish the first.

      We're hoping to be able to keep to our 3 books a month schedule but we haven’t chosen the third candidate for next month yet.

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society