New England

  • Peter and Yvonne Adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2005
      Hi,

      Can I get some pointers on how to get birth and death information from the New England states (Vermont, Connecticut, Massachusetts) for the time period of 1500 to 1800.

      Thanks

      Peter

      *****************************
      Peter Adams
      Calgary, Ab
    • Judith
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2005

        Look for help on any geography by clicking on “Geographic Aids” on the AFHS homepage, then on the geography of interest.

        In this case, you go to:

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/geographic/usa.html - or choose one of the states.

        The central source for vital records in the US I’ve found is VitalCheck (http://www.vitalchek.com/?clicked=1), listed on the AFHS (USA) webpage listed above.

        Judith Rempel

        Family Surnames: Rempel, Peters, Kaethler, Stobbe, Isaak, & Fischer

        rempel@...

        and

        1906@...

        1906 Census of Canada

        Transcription Project

        Alberta Family Histories Society

        and

        MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator

        queries@...

        www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2005
          the list Address

          Sorry can't help. Suggest you send a query to the Alberta Family
          Histories Society website: "www.afhs.ab.ca"

          > Peter and Yvonne Adams wrote:
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > Can I get some pointers on how to get birth and death information from
          > the New England states (Vermont, Connecticut, Massachusetts) for the
          > time period of 1500 to 1800.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Peter
          >

          > *****************************
          > Peter Adams
          > Calgary, Ab

        • Charlie Hansen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 22, 2005
            the list Address

            On 17 Jan 2005 Peter Adams wrote:

            > Can I get some pointers on how to get birth and death information from the
            > New England states (Vermont, Connecticut, Massachusetts) for the time
            > period of 1500 to 1800.

            Many of the early records are held by the town clerks in the local area. Most
            of these have been filmed by the LDS. Not all show up on the IGI. If you do
            not know the exact locations you have to start looking at other records.

            Have a look at:

            A Genealogical Dictionary of The First Settlers of New England,
            Before 1692, by James Savage, in 4 volumes online at:

            http://www.usgennet.org/usa/topic/newengland/savage/

            Very cryptic, but has a lot of information on early NE settlers.

            I would also recommend Jane Devlin's web pages at:

            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jdevlin/

            For early Massachusetts information, you can't beat Dale Cook's
            many web sites. Start at:

            http://members.cox.net/oldcolony/index.shtml

            You can find a lot of historical and genealogical information and links
            for Connecticut on the CTGenWeb Site at:

            http://www.rootsweb.com/~ctgenweb/

            Hope this helps you and others with New England interests.

            Regards,

            Charlie Hansen