Re: OneWorldTree

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2005
      the list Address

      Any source is valuable if accurate for your family. Skills and willingness
      to share vary from one researcher to another. Haven't used One World Tree
      but some of the earlier World Family Trees had detailed notes with sources
      for one of my branches in New England. Unfortunately there were two or three
      generations of farmers with large families, same-name relatives and little
      documentation between the New England sources and the 1871 census.

      My first ancestor couple in Canada happened to show up on a FTM CD with 1827
      passenger list for New York but no one knows where in New York state the two
      older children were born.

      Start with free sources for the most recent generations and use online
      subscriptions as clues after the free information is well organized. Spent
      most of 2004 trying to identify descendants of early settlers from one
      county of Nova Scotia in the free online 1880 US and 1881 Canadian census
      index. That county has a regional mailing list and online transcriptions of
      births, marriages, deaths for some years.

      Ancestry and similar subscriptions are renewed automatically if not
      cancelled. They may seem expensive but so are one-day trips to local
      libraries with limited hours. Public library or Glenbow Archives downtown
      costs $4 for bus or parking fees, lunch and many coins for the copiers. --
      Elizabeth, FTM user since 1990

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2005
        Hi Mabel,

        I find that  Ancestry online is great for Census material from 71, 81, 91, 01 UK Census.  The number of auxiliary family members that I wouldn't have spent a lot of money on finding are now resting happily in the branches of my family tree.  The only BMD available are the indexes that FRBMD have already transcribed, and some extra names from Ancestry's transcriptions.  I don't subscribe to the American data so have no comment.  The 1880 US Census is free for all who belong to Ancestry.  I have found a couple of links in One World Tree but have not followed them up.  In my estimation I would rather do my own research and reach my own conclusions.  I must admit that the charges are very minimal to access One World Tree.  I have no knowledge of the Millennium Site.

        Gloria Gray Winnipeg.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2005
          Hi Everyone:

          For several years I have subscribed to Ancestry.com and have had many great 'finds' though their U.S. Census Collection. From 1790 to 1930, all individuals on each census are indexed, with a link to the original handwritten pages. This website has saved me countless hours of research, and I highly recommend it. I have not subscribed to the One World Tree nor the Millennium sites, so am unable to comment on them.

          Hope this helps,
          Lois Nicholson