Computer, Make Up Your Mind!

  • Bob Crowle
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2004

      Computer SIG Tips

      An interesting thing is happening with my new computer and I was wondering if others might have had it happen to them.

      I backup my Quicken files to diskette after each session.  When I put in my diskette to backup my data, I get the following dialog box:

      “Quicken for Windows

      Unable to access the disk in drive A.  Please make sure the drive is ready and the disk is not write protected.

      Do you want to try again?

      Yes       No”

      I never do anything to the diskette, just click “Yes” and it goes through he second time.  To me it seems interesting that the computer rejected the diskette the first time but will accept it the second time.

      Is it a feature of Windows XP that it has a less stringent set of criteria for some operations on a second attempt?

      Bob Crowle, crowleb@...
    • John B. Doyle
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2004
        Hi Bob,

        I suggest that you forward your query to Quicken.  I'm sure they will have had this problem before and will have a fix.

        JBD
        An interesting thing is happening with my new computer and I was wondering if others might have had it happen to them.

        I backup my Quicken files to diskette after each session.  When I put in my diskette to backup my data, I get the following dialog box:

        “Quicken for Windows

        Unable to access the disk in drive A.  Please make sure the drive is ready and the disk is not write protected.

        Do you want to try again?

        Yes       No”

        I never do anything to the diskette, just click “Yes” and it goes through he second time.  To me it seems interesting that the computer rejected the diskette the first time but will accept it the second time.

        Is it a feature of Windows XP that it has a less stringent set of criteria for some operations on a second attempt?

        Bob Crowle, crowleb@...
      • Fitzpatrick, Wendy
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 21, 2004
          Message
          I've had this problem before as well, but I don't use Quicken. I suspect it's something to do with Windows. Perhaps clicking too quickly from one step to the next. Or just a glich in the system. Sometimes is a nuisance if you're in a hurry.

          Wendy Fitzpatrick
          Administrative Assistant, E9-2257
          New Ventures,
          International New Ventures Exploration