Calendars & Dates

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2004
      the list Address

      Although I have not yet written up my notes for the talk as promised (New
      Year's Resolution), I ran across this from a book I am editing where already
      they are using new terminology for BC and AD so I had to look it up. This is
      what I found on the following website:
      http://www.religioustolerance.org/ce.htm

      CE stands for "Common Era." It is a relatively new term that is experiencing
      increased usage and is eventually expected to replace AD. The latter is an
      abbreviation for "Anno Domini" in Latin or "the year of the Lord" in
      English. The latter refers to the approximate birth year of Yeshua ben
      Nazareth (a.k.a. Jesus Christ). CE and AD have the same and value. 2004 CE =
      2004 AD.

      BCE stands for "Before the common era." It is eventually expected to replace
      BC, which means "Before Christ." BC and BCE are also identical in value.
      Most theologians and religious historians believe that the approximate birth
      date of Yeshua of Nazareth (Jesus) was in the fall, sometime between 7 and 4
      BCE, although we have seen estimates as late as 4 CE and as early as the
      second century BCE.

      Of course, one can always interpret the letter "C" in CE and BCE as
      referring to "Christian" or "Christ's." The Abbreviations Dictionary does
      exactly this.

      Maybe you already knew of this but it was new to me! It's never too late to
      learn new things!

      à bientôt,

      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
      Is your New Year's resolution to scrapbook more? Watch for workshops in
      2005!