RE: Computer SIG meeting - Saturday, December 11th

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9 10:50 PM
      the list Address

      Lois:

      Mary e-mailed me privately and said she thought people would be interested
      so I have made some notes. She also asked me to bring the specs for my flat
      screen monitor. I don't know if I have any specs but I promised to try to
      find some.

      Are you planning on coming to the Computer SIG meeting on Saturday?

      Rene

      I would be. I am flirting with the idea of spending my hard earned cash
      on a colour laser printer, a new scanner or attachment to my old scanner
      that can handle slides, a mid range digital camera and whatever is
      required to digitize the old audio tapes my Dad and extended family used
      in the 1950s to exchange news, songs by the little ones' etc.

    • H. Phil Duby
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 12 1:49 PM
        the list Address

        Bob,

        From the supplied information, I think your old win 98 computer has a 3.5"
        floppy drive. Just guessing, but from the headers on your email, it (or the
        computer you sent the email from) an HP Pavilion computer.

        1) The original Win 98 did not support USB
        2) Win 98 SE (second edition) added support for USB.
        3) It does not matter if your old computer supports USB or not. As long as
        the new computer supports USB, you could add a USB floppy drive to get the
        data into the new computer.
        4) Most new computers come with a network card built in. Your email was
        sent using a telusplanet account. If that is high speed (DSL not dialup)
        account, your computer has a network card.
        5) If both computers have network cards, then a special network cable can be
        used to directly connect the 2 computers together to transfer files. Using
        this cable, sometimes called a crossover cable, means you do not need a
        router, hub, or network switch. While using the cable you would not have
        access to the Internet.
        6) Even if you going to use only one computer on the Internet, a router
        would be a good idea. Routers (typically) contain a firewall that will keep
        most hackers out of your computer. It will not keep out virus programs, or
        trojans that come in by email, but it will keep out the people / programs
        that try to access your computer directly from the Internet without your
        permision.
        7) With a router (at least 2 port), assuming a high speed Internet
        connetion, both computers could be on the Internet at the same time, and you
        could copy files between them.
        8) Anything except the USB floppy on the new computer will need a bit of
        software configuration on both machines, to that they can access each others
        files.
        9) Many new computers come with a CD burner / writer. A single CD will hold
        about 500 floppies worth of information. Inspite of some articles I saw
        forwarded to distgen awhile back, CD's are are a fairly permanent storage
        format. I would expect data on a CD to last longer than a floppy.
        10) If you have a CD burner that supports both CD-R and CD-RW format, you
        have more options. CD-RW can be treated like a bigger version of your
        floppies and Zip disks. They can be written and erased many times. CD-R is
        a write once format (or write with append many times). This is a better
        choice for more permanent storage of data that you do not want to get
        changed latter (archive).

        --
        Phil

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 14 5:45 PM
          the list Address

          There was lots of discussion at our meeting about printers, digital
          cameras, and other items, but I don't recall anyone asking about
          DVD recorders.

          If you are considering purchasing a DVD recorder you might want
          to check out this Roxio webpage for the article:

          Roxio’s Complete Guide to Buying a DVD Recorder

          http://www.roxio.com/en/interest/articles/dvd/dvd_recorders.jhtml

          Regards,

          Charlie