Re: Computer SIG meeting - Saturday, December 11th

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
      the list Address

      I would be. I am flirting with the idea of spending my hard earned cash
      on a colour laser printer, a new scanner or attachment to my old scanner
      that can handle slides, a mid range digital camera and whatever is
      required to digitize the old audio tapes my Dad and extended family used
      in the 1950s to exchange news, songs by the little ones' etc.

      Lois Sparling

      Rene Dussome wrote:

      >Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and
      > the list Address
      >

      >Mary:
      >
      >I have just gone through a lengthy process of chosing a new color printer.
      >Several of our members e-mailed me with their suggestions.
      >
      >The printer I have chosen is a Canon Pixma iP5000. Do you think our members
      >would be interested in learning how I arrived at this decision?
      >
      >Rene

    • Rene Dussome
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
        the list Address

        Lois:

        Mary e-mailed me privately and said she thought people would be interested
        so I have made some notes. She also asked me to bring the specs for my flat
        screen monitor. I don't know if I have any specs but I promised to try to
        find some.

        Are you planning on coming to the Computer SIG meeting on Saturday?

        Rene

        I would be. I am flirting with the idea of spending my hard earned cash
        on a colour laser printer, a new scanner or attachment to my old scanner
        that can handle slides, a mid range digital camera and whatever is
        required to digitize the old audio tapes my Dad and extended family used
        in the 1950s to exchange news, songs by the little ones' etc.

      • H. Phil Duby
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 12, 2004
          the list Address

          Bob,

          From the supplied information, I think your old win 98 computer has a 3.5"
          floppy drive. Just guessing, but from the headers on your email, it (or the
          computer you sent the email from) an HP Pavilion computer.

          1) The original Win 98 did not support USB
          2) Win 98 SE (second edition) added support for USB.
          3) It does not matter if your old computer supports USB or not. As long as
          the new computer supports USB, you could add a USB floppy drive to get the
          data into the new computer.
          4) Most new computers come with a network card built in. Your email was
          sent using a telusplanet account. If that is high speed (DSL not dialup)
          account, your computer has a network card.
          5) If both computers have network cards, then a special network cable can be
          used to directly connect the 2 computers together to transfer files. Using
          this cable, sometimes called a crossover cable, means you do not need a
          router, hub, or network switch. While using the cable you would not have
          access to the Internet.
          6) Even if you going to use only one computer on the Internet, a router
          would be a good idea. Routers (typically) contain a firewall that will keep
          most hackers out of your computer. It will not keep out virus programs, or
          trojans that come in by email, but it will keep out the people / programs
          that try to access your computer directly from the Internet without your
          permision.
          7) With a router (at least 2 port), assuming a high speed Internet
          connetion, both computers could be on the Internet at the same time, and you
          could copy files between them.
          8) Anything except the USB floppy on the new computer will need a bit of
          software configuration on both machines, to that they can access each others
          files.
          9) Many new computers come with a CD burner / writer. A single CD will hold
          about 500 floppies worth of information. Inspite of some articles I saw
          forwarded to distgen awhile back, CD's are are a fairly permanent storage
          format. I would expect data on a CD to last longer than a floppy.
          10) If you have a CD burner that supports both CD-R and CD-RW format, you
          have more options. CD-RW can be treated like a bigger version of your
          floppies and Zip disks. They can be written and erased many times. CD-R is
          a write once format (or write with append many times). This is a better
          choice for more permanent storage of data that you do not want to get
          changed latter (archive).

          --
          Phil

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 14, 2004
            the list Address

            There was lots of discussion at our meeting about printers, digital
            cameras, and other items, but I don't recall anyone asking about
            DVD recorders.

            If you are considering purchasing a DVD recorder you might want
            to check out this Roxio webpage for the article:

            Roxio’s Complete Guide to Buying a DVD Recorder

            http://www.roxio.com/en/interest/articles/dvd/dvd_recorders.jhtml

            Regards,

            Charlie