RE: Computer SIG meeting - Saturday, December 11th

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
      the list Address

      Mary:

      I have just gone through a lengthy process of chosing a new color printer.
      Several of our members e-mailed me with their suggestions.

      The printer I have chosen is a Canon Pixma iP5000. Do you think our members
      would be interested in learning how I arrived at this decision?

      Rene

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
        the list Address

        Yes Rene, I would be interested as I have an old very wicked lazer, but it
        doe not do colour.
        > I have just gone through a lengthy process of chosing a new color
        > printer.
        > Several of our members e-mailed me with their suggestions.
        >
        > The printer I have chosen is a Canon Pixma iP5000. Do you think our
        > members
        > would be interested in learning how I arrived at this decision?
        >
        > Rene

      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
          the list Address

          I would be. I am flirting with the idea of spending my hard earned cash
          on a colour laser printer, a new scanner or attachment to my old scanner
          that can handle slides, a mid range digital camera and whatever is
          required to digitize the old audio tapes my Dad and extended family used
          in the 1950s to exchange news, songs by the little ones' etc.

          Lois Sparling

          Rene Dussome wrote:

          >Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and
          > the list Address
          >

          >Mary:
          >
          >I have just gone through a lengthy process of chosing a new color printer.
          >Several of our members e-mailed me with their suggestions.
          >
          >The printer I have chosen is a Canon Pixma iP5000. Do you think our members
          >would be interested in learning how I arrived at this decision?
          >
          >Rene

        • Rene Dussome
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
            the list Address

            Lois:

            Mary e-mailed me privately and said she thought people would be interested
            so I have made some notes. She also asked me to bring the specs for my flat
            screen monitor. I don't know if I have any specs but I promised to try to
            find some.

            Are you planning on coming to the Computer SIG meeting on Saturday?

            Rene

            I would be. I am flirting with the idea of spending my hard earned cash
            on a colour laser printer, a new scanner or attachment to my old scanner
            that can handle slides, a mid range digital camera and whatever is
            required to digitize the old audio tapes my Dad and extended family used
            in the 1950s to exchange news, songs by the little ones' etc.

          • H. Phil Duby
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 12, 2004
              the list Address

              Bob,

              From the supplied information, I think your old win 98 computer has a 3.5"
              floppy drive. Just guessing, but from the headers on your email, it (or the
              computer you sent the email from) an HP Pavilion computer.

              1) The original Win 98 did not support USB
              2) Win 98 SE (second edition) added support for USB.
              3) It does not matter if your old computer supports USB or not. As long as
              the new computer supports USB, you could add a USB floppy drive to get the
              data into the new computer.
              4) Most new computers come with a network card built in. Your email was
              sent using a telusplanet account. If that is high speed (DSL not dialup)
              account, your computer has a network card.
              5) If both computers have network cards, then a special network cable can be
              used to directly connect the 2 computers together to transfer files. Using
              this cable, sometimes called a crossover cable, means you do not need a
              router, hub, or network switch. While using the cable you would not have
              access to the Internet.
              6) Even if you going to use only one computer on the Internet, a router
              would be a good idea. Routers (typically) contain a firewall that will keep
              most hackers out of your computer. It will not keep out virus programs, or
              trojans that come in by email, but it will keep out the people / programs
              that try to access your computer directly from the Internet without your
              permision.
              7) With a router (at least 2 port), assuming a high speed Internet
              connetion, both computers could be on the Internet at the same time, and you
              could copy files between them.
              8) Anything except the USB floppy on the new computer will need a bit of
              software configuration on both machines, to that they can access each others
              files.
              9) Many new computers come with a CD burner / writer. A single CD will hold
              about 500 floppies worth of information. Inspite of some articles I saw
              forwarded to distgen awhile back, CD's are are a fairly permanent storage
              format. I would expect data on a CD to last longer than a floppy.
              10) If you have a CD burner that supports both CD-R and CD-RW format, you
              have more options. CD-RW can be treated like a bigger version of your
              floppies and Zip disks. They can be written and erased many times. CD-R is
              a write once format (or write with append many times). This is a better
              choice for more permanent storage of data that you do not want to get
              changed latter (archive).

              --
              Phil

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 14, 2004
                the list Address

                There was lots of discussion at our meeting about printers, digital
                cameras, and other items, but I don't recall anyone asking about
                DVD recorders.

                If you are considering purchasing a DVD recorder you might want
                to check out this Roxio webpage for the article:

                Roxio’s Complete Guide to Buying a DVD Recorder

                http://www.roxio.com/en/interest/articles/dvd/dvd_recorders.jhtml

                Regards,

                Charlie