Re: Computer SIG meeting - Saturday, December 11th

  • Robert Hauswirth
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
      Freda

      I recently bought a new computer which came without a 3.5 in floppy drive or Zip drive.  All of my backup Genealogical material is on floppies or  Zip which was matched to my old computer running win 98.  The main files are on the hard drive which is nearly full.  The new computer has only disk drives.  I want to transfer my files to the new computer.
          1) Must floppy and Zip drives be installed, or:
          2) Will one of these "pocketable" replacements for a floppy that plugs into an USB port do.  I was told win 98 does not support them, or:
          3) Must I hook both computers together with a router to the internet and network these two machines?  All of the above have been suggested by clerks in the computer sales stores.  I was also told floppies and Zip is a thing of the past and to forget them.  This is discouraging for I have just finished removing all data from the 5.25 floppies and placed on 3.5 in.

      I intend to keep the old machine hooked to the internet and for word processing.  The new machine has not been hooked to the internet but I may have to do so for the new software packages seem to demand it.

      If the router or fancy pocketable ? that plugs into the USB is needed they might be good stocking stuffers.

      Bob Hauswirth
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
        Do you have a 'goodie' that you think is great
        and others would love it? Please bring it.

        Do you have something you think is horrible and
        no one should have? Please bring it. Maybe
        someone there can show you why you or wrong, or
        maybe we can all learn from your mistake.

        you can always reach me here or at ar109@...
        Support Care2 Email: 1,400 whales may be killed this year. Take action! http://www.care2.com/go/z/17954
      • Rene Dussome
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
          John:

          I got my flat screen monitor a couple of months ago from Costco and I love it. It is a Princeton 19".

          The main advantage to me initially was as a space-saver. I was able to push it to the back of my computer desk, thus freeing up working space.

          My computer man does not like flat screens because he says that the photo images do not appear on the screen as sharp as he would like. He does a lot of photography. He is probably right but I am not too concerned about that.

          No doubt the techos in our group will explain all the other specs to you.

          Rene

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
            the list Address

            Mary:

            I have just gone through a lengthy process of chosing a new color printer.
            Several of our members e-mailed me with their suggestions.

            The printer I have chosen is a Canon Pixma iP5000. Do you think our members
            would be interested in learning how I arrived at this decision?

            Rene

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
              the list Address

              Yes Rene, I would be interested as I have an old very wicked lazer, but it
              doe not do colour.
              > I have just gone through a lengthy process of chosing a new color
              > printer.
              > Several of our members e-mailed me with their suggestions.
              >
              > The printer I have chosen is a Canon Pixma iP5000. Do you think our
              > members
              > would be interested in learning how I arrived at this decision?
              >
              > Rene

            • Lois Sparling
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
                the list Address

                I would be. I am flirting with the idea of spending my hard earned cash
                on a colour laser printer, a new scanner or attachment to my old scanner
                that can handle slides, a mid range digital camera and whatever is
                required to digitize the old audio tapes my Dad and extended family used
                in the 1950s to exchange news, songs by the little ones' etc.

                Lois Sparling

                Rene Dussome wrote:

                >Please remember that your reply will go to everyone on the list and
                > the list Address
                >

                >Mary:
                >
                >I have just gone through a lengthy process of chosing a new color printer.
                >Several of our members e-mailed me with their suggestions.
                >
                >The printer I have chosen is a Canon Pixma iP5000. Do you think our members
                >would be interested in learning how I arrived at this decision?
                >
                >Rene

              • Rene Dussome
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
                  the list Address

                  Lois:

                  Mary e-mailed me privately and said she thought people would be interested
                  so I have made some notes. She also asked me to bring the specs for my flat
                  screen monitor. I don't know if I have any specs but I promised to try to
                  find some.

                  Are you planning on coming to the Computer SIG meeting on Saturday?

                  Rene

                  I would be. I am flirting with the idea of spending my hard earned cash
                  on a colour laser printer, a new scanner or attachment to my old scanner
                  that can handle slides, a mid range digital camera and whatever is
                  required to digitize the old audio tapes my Dad and extended family used
                  in the 1950s to exchange news, songs by the little ones' etc.

                • H. Phil Duby
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 12, 2004
                    the list Address

                    Bob,

                    From the supplied information, I think your old win 98 computer has a 3.5"
                    floppy drive. Just guessing, but from the headers on your email, it (or the
                    computer you sent the email from) an HP Pavilion computer.

                    1) The original Win 98 did not support USB
                    2) Win 98 SE (second edition) added support for USB.
                    3) It does not matter if your old computer supports USB or not. As long as
                    the new computer supports USB, you could add a USB floppy drive to get the
                    data into the new computer.
                    4) Most new computers come with a network card built in. Your email was
                    sent using a telusplanet account. If that is high speed (DSL not dialup)
                    account, your computer has a network card.
                    5) If both computers have network cards, then a special network cable can be
                    used to directly connect the 2 computers together to transfer files. Using
                    this cable, sometimes called a crossover cable, means you do not need a
                    router, hub, or network switch. While using the cable you would not have
                    access to the Internet.
                    6) Even if you going to use only one computer on the Internet, a router
                    would be a good idea. Routers (typically) contain a firewall that will keep
                    most hackers out of your computer. It will not keep out virus programs, or
                    trojans that come in by email, but it will keep out the people / programs
                    that try to access your computer directly from the Internet without your
                    permision.
                    7) With a router (at least 2 port), assuming a high speed Internet
                    connetion, both computers could be on the Internet at the same time, and you
                    could copy files between them.
                    8) Anything except the USB floppy on the new computer will need a bit of
                    software configuration on both machines, to that they can access each others
                    files.
                    9) Many new computers come with a CD burner / writer. A single CD will hold
                    about 500 floppies worth of information. Inspite of some articles I saw
                    forwarded to distgen awhile back, CD's are are a fairly permanent storage
                    format. I would expect data on a CD to last longer than a floppy.
                    10) If you have a CD burner that supports both CD-R and CD-RW format, you
                    have more options. CD-RW can be treated like a bigger version of your
                    floppies and Zip disks. They can be written and erased many times. CD-R is
                    a write once format (or write with append many times). This is a better
                    choice for more permanent storage of data that you do not want to get
                    changed latter (archive).

                    --
                    Phil

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 14, 2004
                      the list Address

                      There was lots of discussion at our meeting about printers, digital
                      cameras, and other items, but I don't recall anyone asking about
                      DVD recorders.

                      If you are considering purchasing a DVD recorder you might want
                      to check out this Roxio webpage for the article:

                      Roxio’s Complete Guide to Buying a DVD Recorder

                      http://www.roxio.com/en/interest/articles/dvd/dvd_recorders.jhtml

                      Regards,

                      Charlie