census release campaign

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2004
      the list Address

      I am forwarding this request from the Canada Census Release mailing list.

      Lois Sparling

      Further to our ongoing campaign to pass bill S-18, I would like to ask each and every one of you to write to Minister Emerson to urge him to take whatever steps are necessary to have the bill get through the Senate as soon as possible. You may want to word it as a Christmas wish, or however you like. However he should be made aware of the significant interest that there is across Canada to have this bill passed as soon as possible.

      Minister Emerson's email addresses are:

      emerson.david@...

      Or

      emersd@...

      I would hope that as many letters as possible could get to Minister Emerson very quickly.

    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
        the original sender

        Bill S-18, the proposed legislation to ensure release of the historic
        census from 1911 to and including 2001 after 92 years , is still stuck
        in the House of Commons waiting for second reading.

        Lois Sparling

      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 9 10:27 PM
          Remember the census release campaign? Remember those petitions we
          signed and then signed again? Remember Beatty et al vs Statistics
          Canada? Remember the surprise release of the 1906 census online by the
          National Archives? Senator Milne has written her account of that long
          campaign to rescue the 1906 and 1911 from the Chief Statistician, Dr.
          Fellegi (and 1916 census should be released this year). Read all about
          the back room politics in her lengthy and detailed story at her web
          site: http://www.sen.parl.gc.ca/lmilne/Default.asp

          Phew, what an effort! Her focus is on what went on in Parliament to
          turn our petitions, emails and Federal Court challenges into
          legislation. She mercifully leaves out the fact that I lost the second
          Federal Court case. Of course, she does not know about our chats with
          Calgary Reform/ Alliance/ Conservative MPs, especially the alternate
          arrangements to get amendments in the House of Commons to the first,
          quite unacceptable government bill for the release of the census returns
          to the public, or the explanation we received from Jason Kenny about the
          Conservative MP who presented unfriendly amendments at one point to ruin
          the second, better government bill.

          There is still the problem of the "opt in" tick box on the 2006 and
          upcoming 2011 census returns, requiring everyone to give allegedly
          informed consent to the public release of their household's census
          return 92 years from hence. And what has happened to the release of the
          1916 census? 1916 + 92 = 2008

          Lois Sparling

          Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.3.5
          http://www.iolo.com