question re Personal Ancestral File

  • Ri & Vicki Morgan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
      the list Address

      I'm having a problem with PAF in that quite a large number of my individual
      files are missing and in place of each missing name is the word LIVING, with
      no other information. Some members of a family will be shown and later
      members not shown, except for that word.
      Would it be that the computer needs more memory? Has the information been
      lost completely? How do I retrieve the information from the back up file if
      it is still there?
      The last time I had accessed the file, I was reminded to back-up the file.
      I did so, and now can't get the information on these individuals.
      I'm not particularly adept at figuring things out other than entering and
      accessing it in the normal way, and wonder if someone else has had the
      problem and how, or if, it can be resolved.
      This is particularly scary as much of the information that has disappeared
      would be difficult to replace to say the least.
      Any solutions would be much appreciated!!
      Thank you.
      Vicki Morgan @

      rmvm@...

    • Bill Mumford
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2004
        the list Address

        It sounds very much like you imported a GEDCOM file of your database
        that has been privatized. If you created a GEDCOM file as a backup
        without carefully selecting all the right options and then imported it
        you would create this situation. If you privatize a database the GEDCOM
        module simply inserts LIVING for those persons without a death date and
        does not include any information.

        If you backed up your data using the Backup menu item PAF creates a file
        <filname>.zip. This can be restored using the Restore menu item.
        Restore will give you a list of zip files that have been created by the
        program.

        Cheers

        Bill