RE: Interesting site on Britain

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
      Site actually comes up as follows

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...
      www.afhs.ab.ca
      (403)214-1447

      From: owner-dist-gen@... [mailto:owner-dist-gen@...] On Behalf Of Larry Gilchrist
      Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 9:17 PM
      To: dist-gen@...; Phyllis Ziajka
      Subject: Re: Interesting site on Britain

      Anyone else have trouble opening this site? I just get a blank sheet, and the address that shows up is: "about:blank".

      Larry

      At 12:24 PM 28/11/2004 -0700, you wrote:
      A friend has just sent me this link, and on a quick look it seems quite interesting.......

      www.visionofbritain.org.uk

      .....so I pass it along for anyone on the dist-gen list doing British research who might like to take a look at it.
      Cheers, Phyllis Z. (AHFS member)

    • John B. Doyle
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        I had the same result.   So I forwarded Phyllis's message to my wife's e-mail where I WAS ABLE TO OPEN IT WITHOUT A PROBLEM!  Larry we must have the same problem with our systems.  Perhaps we have our security set too high?

        John

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
          the list Address

          IT WORKS FINE NOW.

          BILL

          --
          WILLIAM CAMPBELL
          CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

        • RoseMarie Mclean
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
            Hi Larry:

            I had no problem at all getting into the site - but that's a Mac for
            you! Safari also helps.

            Excellent content with a wide range of information which covers many
            years of interest to the family historian. Now I know why it took my
            parents so long to throw out the tin metal tub for bathing. A widely
            held tradition in Britain until the 1950's. Lots of insights into the
            Census data was well. rm

            Oats: a grain which in England is generally given to horses, but in
            Scotland supports the people. - Dr. Johnson.

            RoseMarie McLean
            Calgary/Kaslo
            CANADA
          • Larry Gilchrist

              Anyone else have trouble opening this site? I just get a blank sheet, and the address that shows up is: "about:blank".

              Larry

            • Carol Lee
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
                the list Address

                I had no problem bringing it up, but like Bill, mine shows the following
                address:

                http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp

                Carol Lee

              • Keith Maitland
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
                  the list Address

                  Those with roots in Alberta and Sask. may find the current edition of
                  /Canadian Geographic/ magazine of interest. Included is a colored
                  pullout map which has on one side is a photo of the area from space,
                  and on the other a _map of the area in 1905_ showing Indian
                  reservations, towns & villages, RCMP posts, HBC posts, rail lines,
                  telegraph lines, and limits of settled land and surveyed land with
                  township lines. Virtually no settlement then north of 54th parallel
                  other than trading posts.

                  A Happy and Healthy New Year to all.

                  Keith