Re: Interesting site on Britain

  • Phyllis Ziajka
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
      Larry....... and others.......

      Here's the link again..... I don't have any trouble opening it, but Bill Campbell had emailed me and said it didn't work for him either......  However I hope it works better for you this time.....

      Phyllis

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        Site actually comes up as follows

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Chairman
        Alberta Family Histories Society
        712-16th Ave NW,
        Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

        chairman@...
        www.afhs.ab.ca
        (403)214-1447

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
          I had the same result.   So I forwarded Phyllis's message to my wife's e-mail where I WAS ABLE TO OPEN IT WITHOUT A PROBLEM!  Larry we must have the same problem with our systems.  Perhaps we have our security set too high?

          John

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
            the list Address

            IT WORKS FINE NOW.

            BILL

            --
            WILLIAM CAMPBELL
            CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

          • RoseMarie Mclean
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
              Hi Larry:

              I had no problem at all getting into the site - but that's a Mac for
              you! Safari also helps.

              Excellent content with a wide range of information which covers many
              years of interest to the family historian. Now I know why it took my
              parents so long to throw out the tin metal tub for bathing. A widely
              held tradition in Britain until the 1950's. Lots of insights into the
              Census data was well. rm

              Oats: a grain which in England is generally given to horses, but in
              Scotland supports the people. - Dr. Johnson.

              RoseMarie McLean
              Calgary/Kaslo
              CANADA
            • Larry Gilchrist
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
                Worked this time. Thanks.

                Larry

                At 10:00 PM 01/12/2004 -0700, you wrote:
                Larry....... and others.......

                Here's the link again..... I don't have any trouble opening it, but Bill Campbell had emailed me and said it didn't work for him either......  However I hope it works better for you this time.....

                 www.visionofbritain.org.uk.

                Phyllis

                Anyone else have trouble opening this site? I just get a blank sheet, and the address that shows up is: "about:blank".

                Larry

              • Carol Lee
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
                  the list Address

                  I had no problem bringing it up, but like Bill, mine shows the following
                  address:

                  http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp

                  Carol Lee

                • Keith Maitland
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
                    the list Address

                    Those with roots in Alberta and Sask. may find the current edition of
                    /Canadian Geographic/ magazine of interest. Included is a colored
                    pullout map which has on one side is a photo of the area from space,
                    and on the other a _map of the area in 1905_ showing Indian
                    reservations, towns & villages, RCMP posts, HBC posts, rail lines,
                    telegraph lines, and limits of settled land and surveyed land with
                    township lines. Virtually no settlement then north of 54th parallel
                    other than trading posts.

                    A Happy and Healthy New Year to all.

                    Keith