Re: Interesting site on Britain

  • Larry Gilchrist
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
      Anyone else have trouble opening this site? I just get a blank sheet, and the address that shows up is: "about:blank".

      Larry

      At 12:24 PM 28/11/2004 -0700, you wrote:
      A friend has just sent me this link, and on a quick look it seems quite interesting.......

      www.visionofbritain.org.uk

      .....so I pass it along for anyone on the dist-gen list doing British research who might like to take a look at it.
      Cheers, Phyllis Z. (AHFS member)

    • Phyllis Ziajka
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        Larry....... and others.......

        Here's the link again..... I don't have any trouble opening it, but Bill Campbell had emailed me and said it didn't work for him either......  However I hope it works better for you this time.....

        Phyllis

        Anyone else have trouble opening this site? I just get a blank sheet, and the address that shows up is: "about:blank".

        Larry
      • Gordon Lane
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
          Site actually comes up as follows

          Regards

          Gordon Lane
          Chairman
          Alberta Family Histories Society
          712-16th Ave NW,
          Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

          chairman@...
          www.afhs.ab.ca
          (403)214-1447

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
            I had the same result.   So I forwarded Phyllis's message to my wife's e-mail where I WAS ABLE TO OPEN IT WITHOUT A PROBLEM!  Larry we must have the same problem with our systems.  Perhaps we have our security set too high?

            John

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
              the list Address

              IT WORKS FINE NOW.

              BILL

              --
              WILLIAM CAMPBELL
              CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

            • RoseMarie Mclean
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
                Hi Larry:

                I had no problem at all getting into the site - but that's a Mac for
                you! Safari also helps.

                Excellent content with a wide range of information which covers many
                years of interest to the family historian. Now I know why it took my
                parents so long to throw out the tin metal tub for bathing. A widely
                held tradition in Britain until the 1950's. Lots of insights into the
                Census data was well. rm

                Oats: a grain which in England is generally given to horses, but in
                Scotland supports the people. - Dr. Johnson.

                RoseMarie McLean
                Calgary/Kaslo
                CANADA
              • Larry Gilchrist
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
                  Worked this time. Thanks.

                  Larry

                  At 10:00 PM 01/12/2004 -0700, you wrote:
                  Larry....... and others.......

                  Here's the link again..... I don't have any trouble opening it, but Bill Campbell had emailed me and said it didn't work for him either......  However I hope it works better for you this time.....

                   www.visionofbritain.org.uk.

                  Phyllis

                  Anyone else have trouble opening this site? I just get a blank sheet, and the address that shows up is: "about:blank".

                  Larry

                • Carol Lee
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
                    the list Address

                    I had no problem bringing it up, but like Bill, mine shows the following
                    address:

                    http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp

                    Carol Lee

                  • Keith Maitland
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
                      the list Address

                      Those with roots in Alberta and Sask. may find the current edition of
                      /Canadian Geographic/ magazine of interest. Included is a colored
                      pullout map which has on one side is a photo of the area from space,
                      and on the other a _map of the area in 1905_ showing Indian
                      reservations, towns & villages, RCMP posts, HBC posts, rail lines,
                      telegraph lines, and limits of settled land and surveyed land with
                      township lines. Virtually no settlement then north of 54th parallel
                      other than trading posts.

                      A Happy and Healthy New Year to all.

                      Keith