RE: Montreal schools

  • Robert Boynton
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2004
      Message
      Long shot

      There is a building that may still be owned by the Commission Scolaire Laurenval at

      805 Lauzon in Ste D.

      If you want to telephone the

      COMMISSION SCOLAIRE
      LAURENVAL
      (450) 668-4380
      (anglais - français)
      1105, rue Victor-Morin
      Duvernay (Laval) H7G 4B8

      Ask them about

      Service de Garde at 805 Lauzon and what that building is.  The phone number for this building used to be 689-8012.  I am not sure if it still is or not without phoning myself.

      However, the street number could be just a co-incidence and have nothing to do with your photo.

      Rob
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
        Message
        Some of the early directories for Quebec, Ontario and Atlantic Canada can be searched by surname at

        Then choose Search Database right below the banner.

        The speaker on Monday night did not mention that there are other street directories besides Henderson's. Polk also issued directories in western Canada and the U.S. In "central" Canada directories were compiled by MacKay, Cherrier, Lovell, McAlpine, Mitchell and others published these in various Canadian locations.  The best method of looking up a directory for a particular place and dates is to search under the name of the city or area and the words "street directory". Some also issued "business directories" either as part of, instead of or in addition to the street directory.

        U of C MacKimmie Library has a good collection of these in its microfiche section (anyone can use - do not need a U of C library card to use materials on site) and the Local History section in the William Castell branch of the Calgary Public Library has several of these directories, particularly for Alberta including Calgary and Edmonton. Also useful at CPL there are voters' lists.

        Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564