Montreal schools

  • Carole Baldwin
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2004
      Can anyone help me with this question:
      I have a class picture of my grandfather taken approximately 1902 in front of a school in Montreal. I am trying to determine which school that might be.
      I do know that he was Roman Catholic and English.
      The building has the number 805 on it. (most likely an address).

      Any suggestions as to where I could find out the name of the school would be most appreciated.
      Carole Baldwin
      baldwin2@...
    • Robert Boynton
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2004
        Message
        Yo may or may not find your answer at the University of Calgary main Library, 3rd Floor, which does have some microform directories for cities in Canada around the turn of the 20th century.

        For Montreal they had many years but I did not spot one after 1902 which would have given you a better chance.

        Here is the closet once I found.  If I make it up there soon, I will take a look.  Rob

        Item Information Catalogue Record
        Lovell's Montreal directory for 1898-99 [microform] : containing an alphabetical and street directory of the citizens ... an advertisers classified business directory, and a miscellaneous directory, to which is added directories of Lachine, Laprairie, Longueuil, Montreal South, Sault au Recollet, Ville St. Laurent and and St. Lambert, corrected to 27th June, 1898

        Title:Lovell's Montreal directory for 1898-99 [microform] : containing an alphabetical and street directory of the citizens ... an advertisers classified business directory, and a miscellaneous directory, to which is added directories of Lachine, Laprairie, Longueuil, Montreal South, Sault au Recollet, Ville St. Laurent and and St. Lambert, corrected to 27th June, 1898
        Publication info:Montreal : J. Lovell, repr.1983, c1898.
        Physical description:14 microfiches (652 fr.) : ill.
        Subject:Montréal (Quebec)--Directories
        Reproduction note:Filmed from a copy of the original publication held by the National Library of Canada. Ottawa : Canadian Institute for Historical Microreproductions,
        Original version:1270 p. ; 22 cm.
        ISBN:0665370733

        I have a class picture of my grandfather taken approximately 1902 in front of a school in Montreal. I am trying to determine which school that might be.
        I do know that he was Roman Catholic and English.
        The building has the number 805 on it. (most likely an address).

        Any suggestions as to where I could find out the name of the school would be most appreciated.
        Carole Baldwin
        baldwin2@...

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---

      • Robert Boynton
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2004
          Message
          Long shot

          There is a building that may still be owned by the Commission Scolaire Laurenval at

          805 Lauzon in Ste D.

          If you want to telephone the

          COMMISSION SCOLAIRE
          LAURENVAL
          (450) 668-4380
          (anglais - français)
          1105, rue Victor-Morin
          Duvernay (Laval) H7G 4B8

          Ask them about

          Service de Garde at 805 Lauzon and what that building is.  The phone number for this building used to be 689-8012.  I am not sure if it still is or not without phoning myself.

          However, the street number could be just a co-incidence and have nothing to do with your photo.

          Rob

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29, 2004
            Hi Carole,

            Where did the family live when he was about the age in the photo? That will help you establish the nearest Catholic school as there were several in Montreal at this time. Also many went to Christian Brothers' Schools that were not necessarily in the nearest locality. Popular ones were those in St. Henri & Ste. Cunegonde (once districts of Montreal and later separate municipalities) .

            What I did was contact the City of Montreal archives and then faxed the photo to be identified. They were able to find the actual photograph in their archives and made a better copy for me as well as told me the keywords under which it was filed. The keywords helped identify some key people in the photograph with my children's great grandfather and the occasion for which it was taken. If yours is a snapshot, you may not be that lucky but they could likely compare the view of the school with others in the archives.

            First though it might be useful to tell them where he lived. The microfiche Rob mentioned is how I found the address where the family lived in 1899. I found though that all the boys in this Catholic family went to the Christian Brothers School. It could be a possibility especially since he was an English speaking Catholic.

            I will see if I can find the phone number that I called at the City of Montreal and/or the email address they gave me. I will then get back to you. In case it is the Christian Brothers school in the 'burbs, you could send via scanned attachment or fax a copy to me and I will see if it looks anything like it. I don't recall the number 805 but will have to recheck the photos.

            à bientôt,

            Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
            Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
            Holiday Stamp Camp December 5, 2004 - call or email for details

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2004
              So far I can find two educational institutions in or near modern Montreal with 805 in their address:

              Tamuld Torahs Unis de Montréal - école secondaire Herzliah St Laurent
              805, rue Dorais,
              Saint-Laurent, QC  H4M 2A2

              McGill University
              805 ouest, rue Sherbrooke,
              Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2K6

              I will see what else I can find later.

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
                Message
                Some of the early directories for Quebec, Ontario and Atlantic Canada can be searched by surname at

                Then choose Search Database right below the banner.

                The speaker on Monday night did not mention that there are other street directories besides Henderson's. Polk also issued directories in western Canada and the U.S. In "central" Canada directories were compiled by MacKay, Cherrier, Lovell, McAlpine, Mitchell and others published these in various Canadian locations.  The best method of looking up a directory for a particular place and dates is to search under the name of the city or area and the words "street directory". Some also issued "business directories" either as part of, instead of or in addition to the street directory.

                U of C MacKimmie Library has a good collection of these in its microfiche section (anyone can use - do not need a U of C library card to use materials on site) and the Local History section in the William Castell branch of the Calgary Public Library has several of these directories, particularly for Alberta including Calgary and Edmonton. Also useful at CPL there are voters' lists.