Interesting site on Britain

  • Phyllis Ziajka
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2004
      A friend has just sent me this link, and on a quick look it seems quite interesting.......

      .....so I pass it along for anyone on the dist-gen list doing British research who might like to take a look at it.
      Cheers, Phyllis Z. (AHFS member)
    • Larry Gilchrist
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        Anyone else have trouble opening this site? I just get a blank sheet, and the address that shows up is: "about:blank".

        Larry

        www.visionofbritain.org.uk

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
          Larry....... and others.......

          Here's the link again..... I don't have any trouble opening it, but Bill Campbell had emailed me and said it didn't work for him either......  However I hope it works better for you this time.....

          Phyllis

          Anyone else have trouble opening this site? I just get a blank sheet, and the address that shows up is: "about:blank".

          Larry
        • Gordon Lane
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
            Site actually comes up as follows

            Regards

            Gordon Lane
            Chairman
            Alberta Family Histories Society
            712-16th Ave NW,
            Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

            chairman@...
            www.afhs.ab.ca
            (403)214-1447

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
              I had the same result.   So I forwarded Phyllis's message to my wife's e-mail where I WAS ABLE TO OPEN IT WITHOUT A PROBLEM!  Larry we must have the same problem with our systems.  Perhaps we have our security set too high?

              John

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
                the list Address

                IT WORKS FINE NOW.

                BILL

                --
                WILLIAM CAMPBELL
                CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

              • RoseMarie Mclean
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
                  Hi Larry:

                  I had no problem at all getting into the site - but that's a Mac for
                  you! Safari also helps.

                  Excellent content with a wide range of information which covers many
                  years of interest to the family historian. Now I know why it took my
                  parents so long to throw out the tin metal tub for bathing. A widely
                  held tradition in Britain until the 1950's. Lots of insights into the
                  Census data was well. rm

                  Oats: a grain which in England is generally given to horses, but in
                  Scotland supports the people. - Dr. Johnson.

                  RoseMarie McLean
                  Calgary/Kaslo
                  CANADA
                • Larry Gilchrist
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
                    Worked this time. Thanks.

                    Larry

                    At 10:00 PM 01/12/2004 -0700, you wrote:
                    Larry....... and others.......

                    Here's the link again..... I don't have any trouble opening it, but Bill Campbell had emailed me and said it didn't work for him either......  However I hope it works better for you this time.....

                     www.visionofbritain.org.uk.

                    Phyllis

                    Anyone else have trouble opening this site? I just get a blank sheet, and the address that shows up is: "about:blank".

                    Larry

                  • Carol Lee
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
                      the list Address

                      I had no problem bringing it up, but like Bill, mine shows the following
                      address:

                      http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp

                      Carol Lee

                    • Keith Maitland
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
                        the list Address

                        Those with roots in Alberta and Sask. may find the current edition of
                        /Canadian Geographic/ magazine of interest. Included is a colored
                        pullout map which has on one side is a photo of the area from space,
                        and on the other a _map of the area in 1905_ showing Indian
                        reservations, towns & villages, RCMP posts, HBC posts, rail lines,
                        telegraph lines, and limits of settled land and surveyed land with
                        township lines. Virtually no settlement then north of 54th parallel
                        other than trading posts.

                        A Happy and Healthy New Year to all.

                        Keith