Moving Outlook Express Messages Between PCs.

  • Bob Crowle
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2004

      Computer SIG

      I want to move email files from my old PC to a new one I am just setting up.  My email program on both machines is Microsoft Outlook Express 6.

      When you try to export messages, you get the error message:

      ‘The export could not be performed.  An error occurred while initiating MAPI.’

      Although the export function for the Address Book worked 100%, eventually you can not export Outlook Express messages unless you also have Outlook on the machine.  I found this out from a Google search.

      I then tried copying a couple of email files from my 98 machine and installed them directly in the correct location on my new XP machine but they did not show up when I rebooted the machine and started Outlook Express.  It must be something to do with the different operating machines because both email programs are Microsoft Outlook Express 6.

      Does anyone have any idea how I might accomplish this transfer?

      Bob Crowle, crowleb@...
    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 24, 2004
        Nearly ten years experience on Internet mailing lists and several years
        before that on Fidonet. Moving messages was too much trouble, did it once
        but not with XP.

        Best method for saving "interesting" e-mails is to keep plain text copies
        with meaningful subject lines. I usually do this by month rather than for a
        whole year, and make backups off the hard drive a few times each month.
        Early versions of Windows seemed to have a maximum capacity. Around 1000
        e-mails and "something" would happen, requiring reformatting of the hard
        drive.

        Plain text messages are easier & faster to search if you need to go back and
        look for an old one. Archives are available for most mailing lists, some
        more easily searched than others. Research notes for a particular branch of
        the family history could be saved in simple Windows folders for regular
        backups with the data files.

        Caution: A CD-Recordable may run out of space for the index when it is about
        half full of small files. Spot-check to make sure the "backup" copy has the
        files and not just empty folders. -- Elizabeth