Bill S-18

  • The Kashubas
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2004
      the list Address

      To All,
      I just spoke to the office of my MP Ted Menzies. The women there said it is
      best to deal directly with the Senator in question. For other matters
      emails get forwarded on to the critic of the particular problem.

      She said she would make Ted aware of my concern about Lynch-Staunton and see
      if he can bring the matter up in caucus when the Senator is present.

      If he gets bombarded with emails, letters and calls and other conservative
      MPs do as well, he will have to defend his position.

      She also stated the Party had not made a decision in support or denial of
      Bill-S18. Apparently there are still some concerns????? Seems to be some
      confusion here about what is being reported. She could be wrong.

      So, it would be a good idea to inundate John Lynch-Staunton's office about
      our concerns.

      Kathy Kashuba
      http://members.shaw.ca/kashuba4

    • Rene Dussome
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2005
        the original sender

        Hello Everybody:

        A contributor to the Canadian Census Release Mailing List has just posted a
        message that refers us to:

        http://www.parl.gc.ca/committee/CommitteePublication.aspx?COM=8983&Lang=1&So
        urceId=121249

        The wording is:

        38th Parliament, 1st Session
        The Standing Committee on Industry, Natural Resources, Science and
        Technology has the honour to present its
        SEVENTH REPORT
        In accordance with its Order of Reference of Monday, June 13, 2005, your
        Committee has considered Bill S-18, An Act to amend the Statistics Act, and
        agreed on Thursday, June 16, 2005, to report it without amendment.
        A copy of the relevant Minutes of Proceedings (Meetings Nos. 43 and 44) is
        tabled.
        Respectfully submitted,
        Le président,

        BRENT ST. DENIS
        Chair

        It is a big relief that the Bill was sent back to the Commons without
        amendment. The next step, as I understand it, is to have Third Reading of
        the Bill passed by the House of Commons, following which we SHOULD have
        access to the 1911 Canadian census.

        I expect that Gordon Watts will let us have his comments later today and I
        will pass them on to you. In the meantime, if my reading of the situation is
        incorrect no doubt Lois Sparling will let us know.

        Keep your fingers crossed that all this can be processed before the summer
        recess.

        Rene Dussome

      • fredastewart
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28, 2005
          Hello all!   - just got home to hear the good news - Bill S-18 has passed today - thanks to all who signed petitions over and over,  and especially to Lois for all your effort - and to all who contributed financially when Lois put out the call.
          Freda Stewart