Re: Calling All Past Cadvision User

  • Marg Randall McCready
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
    • Marg Randall McCready
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
        I too am swamped and in some cases they address it to the name I used with
        Cadvision. Today I have had about 20 spam messages alone. I have also been
        considering asking Telus not to forward Cadvision mail.

        I had no spam at all until my email address appeared on a website. I am
        being very careful about using my new address.

        Marg McCready

      • Ines
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
          I did not really notice a difference, I think. Spam seems to come and go. I
          guess I should pay attention to it. At the moment I am being bombarded by
          the latest worm, so I am deleting everything that I don't trust.
          Ines

          At 03:34 PM 10/01/02 -0600, Gord Hulbert wrote:
          >Hi all:
          >
          >I don't know if I'm the only one that has been bothered by SPAM lately, but
          >since I left Cadvision and signed up with Telus, I've been swampped. I have
          >NO proof, but I'm highly suspicious that somehow Cadvision's customer list
          >got out into the public domain. I have been paying particular attention
          >today to incoming SPAM, and all are addressed to my OLD Cadvision account.
          >
          >I have contacted Telus and am waiting for a call back. I'm going to ask
          >that they stop forwarding any Cadvision email to my Telus account.
          >
          >Comments?
          >
          >Regards,
          >
          >Gord Hulbert
          >http://www.Hulbert.ca
          >http://www.Family-Roots.ca
          >http://www.Wersi-Users-Group.org
          >
          >http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          >http://www.family-roots.ca

        • Carol Lylyk
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
            Hello Gordon,
            I forwarded your message to my cousin - ex Cadvision user - and this was her reply:

            "Thanks for forwarding this on to me.

            This is correct; the cadvision address is a problem. Because you had
            suggested that my address could be why I was receiving so much junk mail, I
            called Telus last week & had them delete my old cadvision address (mail from
            that address was being forwarded to new telus address for a year). Since
            they deleted my old address I have had no garbage mail at all!! What a
            break that has been! I felt like I wanted to tell every old cadvision
            subscriber my discovery. " Thank you for your help.

            > I don't know if I'm the only one that has been bothered by SPAM lately, but
            > since I left Cadvision and signed up with Telus, I've been swampped. I have
            > NO proof, but I'm highly suspicious that somehow Cadvision's customer list
            > got out into the public domain. I have been paying particular attention
            > today to incoming SPAM, and all are addressed to my OLD Cadvision account.
            >
            > I have contacted Telus and am waiting for a call back. I'm going to ask
            > that they stop forwarding any Cadvision email to my Telus account.

            ---
          • E & R Kinnear
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
              Hi: I have been receiving al lot of email forwarded from my old cadvision
              address, they have an attachment, so I just delete the email - therefore I
              have no ideal if it was a virus or spam.
              Eva Kinnear

              > I don't know if I'm the only one that has been bothered by SPAM lately,
              but
              > since I left Cadvision and signed up with Telus, I've been swampped. I
              have
              > NO proof, but I'm highly suspicious that somehow Cadvision's customer list
              > got out into the public domain. I have been paying particular attention
              > today to incoming SPAM, and all are addressed to my OLD Cadvision account.
              >
              > I have contacted Telus and am waiting for a call back. I'm going to ask
              > that they stop forwarding any Cadvision email to my Telus account.
              >
              > Comments?
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Gord Hulbert
              > http://www.Hulbert.ca
              > http://www.Family-Roots.ca
              > http://www.Wersi-Users-Group.org
              >
              > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              > http://www.family-roots.ca

            • Keith Maitland
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
                I have received no spam at all on my Telus e-mail. It all goes to my old address
                at Cadvision, which is still active.

                Keith Maitland

                Gord Hulbert wrote:

                > Hi all:
                >
                > I don't know if I'm the only one that has been bothered by SPAM lately, but
                > since I left Cadvision and signed up with Telus, I've been swampped. I have
                > NO proof, but I'm highly suspicious that somehow Cadvision's customer list
                > got out into the public domain. I have been paying particular attention
                > today to incoming SPAM, and all are addressed to my OLD Cadvision account.
                >
                > I have contacted Telus and am waiting for a call back. I'm going to ask
                > that they stop forwarding any Cadvision email to my Telus account.
                >
                > Comments?
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Gord Hulbert
                > http://www.Hulbert.ca
                > http://www.Family-Roots.ca
                > http://www.Wersi-Users-Group.org
                >
                > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                > http://www.family-roots.ca

              • helen
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
                  Hi Gordon,
                  When I first moved to telus I did get a lot of SPAM but now it is much as
                  it was before, some but not a lot. Maybe this is because I am not on the
                  internet a lot (just can not seem to make it work for me).

                  I have had a great deal of trouble in the past week or so with telus and my
                  e-mail. Cutting me off line and not being able to send messages. My daily
                  talks with some nice young women are getting to be a bit of a boar. (If you
                  can think of a reason that this should be happening I would love to hear
                  about it.)
                  Helen
                  > I don't know if I'm the only one that has been bothered by SPAM lately,
                  but
                  > since I left Cadvision and signed up with Telus, I've been swampped. I
                  have
                  > NO proof, but I'm highly suspicious that somehow Cadvision's customer list
                  > got out into the public domain. I have been paying particular attention
                  > today to incoming SPAM, and all are addressed to my OLD Cadvision account.
                  >
                  > I have contacted Telus and am waiting for a call back. I'm going to ask
                  > that they stop forwarding any Cadvision email to my Telus account.
                  >
                  > Comments?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Gord Hulbert
                  > http://www.Hulbert.ca
                  > http://www.Family-Roots.ca
                  > http://www.Wersi-Users-Group.org
                  >
                  > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                  > http://www.family-roots.ca

                • John Kempson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
                    I have had the same condition Gord.

                    > I don't know if I'm the only one that has been bothered by SPAM lately,
                    but
                    > since I left Cadvision and signed up with Telus, I've been swampped. I
                    have
                    > NO proof, but I'm highly suspicious that somehow Cadvision's customer list
                    > got out into the public domain. I have been paying particular attention
                    > today to incoming SPAM, and all are addressed to my OLD Cadvision account.
                    >
                    > I have contacted Telus and am waiting for a call back. I'm going to ask
                    > that they stop forwarding any Cadvision email to my Telus account.
                    >
                    > Comments?
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Gord Hulbert
                    > http://www.Hulbert.ca
                    > http://www.Family-Roots.ca
                    > http://www.Wersi-Users-Group.org
                    >
                    > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                    > http://www.family-roots.ca

                  • Charlie Hansen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
                      ,On 1 Oct 2002 at 15:34, Gord Hulbert wrote:

                      > I don't know if I'm the only one that has been bothered by SPAM lately, but
                      > since I left Cadvision and signed up with Telus, I've been swampped. I
                      > have NO proof, but I'm highly suspicious that somehow Cadvision's customer
                      > list got out into the public domain. I have been paying particular
                      > attention today to incoming SPAM, and all are addressed to my OLD Cadvision
                      > account.
                      >
                      > I have contacted Telus and am waiting for a call back. I'm going to ask
                      > that they stop forwarding any Cadvision email to my Telus account.
                      >
                      > Comments?

                      Gord and All,

                      I have also been getting a lot more SPAM recently. However, since June
                      2001 I have been logging the occurrences of those SPAMs whose TO or CC
                      addresses appeared to be taken from a portion of Cadvision's subscriber
                      list. Much of the SPAM that I receive does not appear to have any of my
                      e-mail addresses in the headers, so the spammers must be hiding their
                      recipients list.

                      When I migrated from Cadvision to Telus, the first day afterwards I got
                      SPAM at my new Telus e-mail address before I had given it out to anyone.
                      I got tired of waiting on hold at the Telus voice mail and forwarding
                      system so I phoned:

                      Telus Customer Relations Manager, phone 310-1000.
                      E-mail: customer.relations@...
                      (See page 12 of new white pages directory.)

                      The representative that I spoke with said that my assigned e-mail address
                      had probably been previously used by an earlier Telus subscriber. However,
                      it appears that Telus have an e-mail directory much like their telephone
                      directory. He asked if I wanted my e-mail address unlisted and of course I
                      said "yes".

                      There is an interesting article at ZDNet News headlined:
                      "Spam hits 36 percent of e-mail traffic" Look at:

                      http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-955842.html

                      Most of the SPAM e-mail that I receive uses HTML, while almost all of the
                      mail that I need to read uses plain text. After I filter incoming e-mails
                      for expected sources such as RootsWeb mailing lists and move them to
                      various folders, I filter for:"Content-Type: text/html" in the headers and
                      send that e-mail to my "For-Delete" folder. I also filter for key
                      objectionable words in the text. Any remaining e-mails remain in my
                      New-Mail folder. However not all mail servers allow for this level of
                      filtering. I know that Outlook Express 5 and Netscape 4.75 do not. I
                      haven't checked the later versions for filtering capabilities, so may some
                      users can let us know. I use Pegasus for its comprehensive filtering
                      ability. My filter system sends almost 100% of SPAM to my "For-Delete"
                      folder. (I could have it automatically deleted but I like to check to see
                      that a wanted e-mail is not caught.)

                      For filtering on your ISP before you download your e-mail there is a
                      program called MailWasher:

                      http://www.mailwasher.net/

                      For some more information about HTML in e-mail, have a look at the
                      following:

                      Why HTML in E-Mail is a Bad Idea

                      http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html

                      and

                      I don't think we will ever win the fight against SPAM, but periodically
                      changing your e-mail address and blocking your old one should help for a
                      while. I hope this rather long message helps you in your battle against
                      SPAM.

                      Regards,

                      Charlie Hansen

                    • George Lake
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 5, 2002
                        Hi Gord:
                        At 03:34 PM 10/1/02 -0600, you wrote:
                        >Hi all:
                        >
                        >I don't know if I'm the only one that has been bothered by SPAM lately, but
                        >since I left Cadvision and signed up with Telus, I've been swampped. I have
                        >NO proof, but I'm highly suspicious that somehow Cadvision's customer list
                        >got out into the public domain. I have been paying particular attention
                        >today to incoming SPAM, and all are addressed to my OLD Cadvision account.

                        Because of the way Telus have screwed up my address I continue to use my
                        cadvision address while I consider my options.
                        I've been away for the past 10 days and on my return I had 453 messages, of
                        which 315 were spam. I have set up a filter to the address to which Telus
                        are forwarding my cadvison mail - that mailbox had no spam whatsoever.

                        >I have contacted Telus and am waiting for a call back. I'm going to ask
                        >that they stop forwarding any Cadvision email to my Telus account.

                        As long as they don't decide to do that for everybody. :-)

                        Regards

                        Geo

                        George Lake
                        1140 Kildonan Pl, SW