Ontario's new Personal Health Information Protection Act

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2004
      the list Address

      I thought this may be of interest to some:

      > On November 1st, most provisions of the Personal Health Information
      > Protection Act came into force in Ontario. As you know, the Ministry of
      > Health and Long-Term Care sought the input from the archival / heritage
      > community on how best to meet the requirements of the legislation while
      > ensuring that health-care records of an archival nature could continue to
      > be collected and disclosed. Implementation requirements specific to
      > archives are now included in a Regulation under the Act.
      >
      > I encourage you to review the legislation available through the MOHLTC
      > website:
      > <http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/updates/archives/hu_03/priv_le
      > gislation.html>
      >
      > The Regulation itself can be found here:
      > <http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Regs/English/040329_e.htm>
      >
      > In short, archives (or organizations with archival collections) may
      > collect records containing personal health information if they register
      > with the provincial Information and Privacy Commissioner. They may
      > disclose information as if they were a health information custodian,
      > meaning that personal health information may be disclosed to the person to
      > whom it relates, subject to the requirements of PHIPA, or to a researcher
      > in accordance with a research plan approved by a research ethics board.
      >
      > Note that these requirements do not pertain to the Archives of Ontario or
      > to municipal archives whose existing access regimes (i.e., the Freedom of
      > Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and the Municipal Freedom of
      > Information and Protection of Privacy Act) will govern the collection and
      > disclosure of personal health information.
      >
      > The Archives of Ontario will be happy to work with other archival /
      > heritage organizations in the province if there is a need to clarify
      > requirements.
      >
      > ______________________________________
      > Carolyn Heald
      > Information Policy Adviser
      > Archives of Ontario
      > 77 Grenville Street
      > Toronto ON M5S 1B3
      >
      > Tel: (416)327-1568
      > Fax: (416)327-1992
      > e-mail: carolyn.heald@...
      > website: http://www.archives.gov.on.ca

      Stampin' Up Demonstrator: 1001886
      http://www.stampinup.com
      Call or email to find about the Holiday scrapbook pages, cards, gifts and
      giftwrap/tags workshops to be held November 14 and 28 at 1 p.m. each day or
      book your own party to receive free hostess gifts and earn free products.
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564