Tomorrow - Wed Oct 27 - speaker Heather Devine - native genealogy

  • Lorna Laughton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2004
      Message
      Hi everyone:

      Judii Rempel has asked me to let all of you know about the following event that is happening TOMORROW!

      The first talk in the IIS Fall Speaker Series will be given by Dr. Heather Devine.
      It is titledThe People Who Own Themselves – Researching Native Genealogy in Alberta.”
      The talk will be tomorrow, October 27, 2004 from 12 noon – 1:00 p.m. in the Native Centre, MSC Room 391.

      (MSC stands for MacEwen Student Centre - at the heart of the U of C campus. Reasonable access can be obtained by parking in the on-campus parkade.

      INTERNATIONAL INDIGENOUS STUDIES PROGRAM

      FALL SPEAKER SERIES

      WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2004

      12 noon – 1:00 p.m.

      NATIVE CENTRE, ROOM 391

      "The People Who Own Themselves

      Researching Native Genealogy in Alberta"

      by

      Dr. Heather Devine

      Museum and Heritage Studies Program

      Faculty of Communication and Culture

      What factors influence the development of a

      First Nations or Métis identity?

      What are the family connections between First Nations

      and Métis communities in Alberta?

      This presentation discusses different methods for researching

      First Nation and Métis ancestry, and also discusses how these

      genealogical techniques were used in the writing of

      The People Who Own Themselves, a history of the development of

      one Native family over 250 years.