1901 English Census

  • Rene
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
      Hi:

      I sent the following message on September 28th:

      > There have been lots of messages coming through the UK-1901-CENSUS
      mailing list recently about transcription errors. This one arrived this
      morning from:

      John Holden <john.holden3@...>

      " . . . as a result of the problems with the 1901, the PRO will
      not now put any more censuses on line. They have instead, licensed the
      whole lot to Ancestry.com as a way of fulfilling their promise. That has
      to be an improvement doesn't it? Access virtually restricted to those
      with credit cards. No free index. Probably no facility to correct
      transcription errors."

      It has been pointed out to me that people reading this message may think
      it refers to the 1901 census. It does not. The 1901 census is online and
      we hope it will stay on line. The PRO and Qinetiq need to make lots of
      money to recoup their investment.

      Please read the second line of John Holden's message carefully; ". . .
      any more censuses . . ." are the operative words.

      The PRO had promised to put the censuses for 1841 to 1891 online in a
      similar fashion to the 1901 census. It now appears that because of all
      the transcription errors (and the resulting complaints) they have
      decided not to proceed with online versions for earlier censuses.
      Instead, John Holden says they have licensed the project to
      Ancestry.com.

      No official announcement has been made to this effect.

      * * *

      Users of the 1901 online census will know that it is not available from
      late Saturday evening to Monday morning (GMT). Yesterday I tried to get
      in "through the back door" (using the https address) but it appears that
      the door has been closed!

      Rene Dussome
    • John Doyle
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
        Dear Rene,

        All I can say is I am glad I have been able to find 99% of my people in the
        1901 census index without TOO much trouble, although errors abound.

        Glad too that the other censuses are available on film. I have availed
        myself of most of the ones that apply to my people.

        I think the PRO got into something too big for them to handle. I don't see
        how they are going to make that much money from the 1901, as the index, if
        you know how to fiddle with it, gives you just about everything you need to
        find out. They should have contacted the "experts". That would have cost
        them nothing, or am I wrong on that?

        Judith Doyle, the appalled

        > I sent the following message on September 28th:
        >
        > > There have been lots of messages coming through the UK-1901-CENSUS
        > mailing list recently about transcription errors. This one arrived this
        > morning from:
        >
        > John Holden <john.holden3@...>
        >
        > " . . . as a result of the problems with the 1901, the PRO will
        > not now put any more censuses on line. They have instead, licensed the
        > whole lot to Ancestry.com as a way of fulfilling their promise. That has
        > to be an improvement doesn't it? Access virtually restricted to those
        > with credit cards. No free index. Probably no facility to correct
        > transcription errors."
        >
        > It has been pointed out to me that people reading this message may think
        > it refers to the 1901 census. It does not. The 1901 census is online and
        > we hope it will stay on line. The PRO and Qinetiq need to make lots of
        > money to recoup their investment.
        >
        > Please read the second line of John Holden's message carefully; ". . .
        > any more censuses . . ." are the operative words.
        >
        > The PRO had promised to put the censuses for 1841 to 1891 online in a
        > similar fashion to the 1901 census. It now appears that because of all
        > the transcription errors (and the resulting complaints) they have
        > decided not to proceed with online versions for earlier censuses.
        > Instead, John Holden says they have licensed the project to
        > Ancestry.com.
        >
        > No official announcement has been made to this effect.
        >
        > * * *
        >
        > Users of the 1901 online census will know that it is not available from
        > late Saturday evening to Monday morning (GMT). Yesterday I tried to get
        > in "through the back door" (using the https address) but it appears that
        > the door has been closed!
        >
        > Rene Dussome
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Carol Lee
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
          Perhaps it may help to know that all of the Ancestry.com site is available
          at the Family History Centre. It costs $1.00/hr to use the internet.
          Ancestry has made its complete site available to all Family History Centres
          at no cost to the Centres. The $1.00 is for the ADSL charges we have to pay
          for our computers.

          Carol Lee