Ontario SIG

  • Ronna L. Byam
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 22, 2004
      The next meeting of the Ontario SIG will take place on Monday, October 25th at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16 Avenue NW.
      The librarians will be showing us the Ontario materials on hand in the AFHS library.  Everyone welcome!
      Ronna Byam
      Chair, Ontario SIG
      rleeb@...
    • Ronna L. Byam
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 21, 2004
        Everyone is invited to the Ontario SIG's monthly meeting this Monday, November 22nd at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16 Avenue NW.  We will be discussing the political and jurisdictional "evolution" of Ontario and its effect on genealogical research.  We will also be looking at land measurement and organization.
        Hope to see you there!
        Ronna Byam
        Chair, Ontario SIG
      • Ronna L. Byam
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 23, 2005
          The Ontario SIG will be holding its monthly meeting tomorrow, Monday, January 24th at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16 Avenue NW.  Our topic of discussion will be Birth, Marriage and Death Records in Ontario.  Everyone welcome.
          Ronna Byam
          Chair, Ontario SIG

        • Ronna L. Byam
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 27, 2005
            Hi,
            Wanted to let everyone know that the regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG is tomorrow (Monday) at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16 Ave NW.  The great news is that there are 4 new chairs in the library so we will all be able to sit down!
            We will be discussing birth, marriage and death records prior to 1869.  Everyone welcome.
            Ronna Byam
            Chair, Ontario SIG
          • Ronna L. Byam
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 27, 2005
              The regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG will be held tomorrow (Monday, March 28th) at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16th Avenue NW.  Our topic will be Basic Land Records.
              Everyone is welcome!
              Ronna Byam
              Chair, Ontario SIG
            • Gordon Lane
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 23 7:22 PM
                The Ontario SIG meeting has been cancelled for Monday 25th April

                Regards

                Gordon Lane
                Chairman
                Alberta Family Histories Society
                712-16th Ave NW,
                Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

                chairman@...
                www.afhs.ab.ca
                (403)214-1447

              • Ronna L. Byam
                Message 7 of 22 , May 21, 2005
                  The May meeting of the Ontario SIG has been rescheduled to Monday May 30th, 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library.  We will be continuing our discussion of land records.
                  Ronna Byam
                  Chair, Ontario SIG
                • Ronna L. Byam
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 22, 2005
                    The Ontario SIG will resume its meetings on Monday September 26th at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library 712 - 16th Avenue NW.  We will be discussing Wills and Probate Records.  Everyone welcome.
                  • Ronna L. Byam
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 23, 2005
                      The Ontario SIG will meet Monday 24 Oct at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16 Avenue NW.  Lorna Laughton will be giving a presentation on United Empire Loyalists.  Everyone welcome!
                      Ronna Byam
                      Cahir, Ontario SIG
                    • Ronna L. Byam
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 26, 2006
                        The Ontario SIG will be holding its regular monthly meeting tomorrow at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 -16 Avenue NW.
                        We will be spending some time discussing the new databases available at www.ancestry.ca before going onto a discussion of immigration / naturalization records.
                        Everyone is welcome.
                        Ronna Byam
                        Chair, Ontario SIG
                      • Ronna L. Byam
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                          The Ontario SIG will be holding its last meeting before the summer break tomorrow Monday 26 June at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16 Avenue NW.  Lorna Laughton and Linda Murray will be sharing experiences and insights gained at the OGS Seminar which they recently attended in Ontario.  There will also be an update on Canadian censuses online.  As always, there will be lots of opportunity to ask questions and to share your research successes and frustrations.  Everyone welcome.
                          Ronna Byam
                          Chair, Ontario SIG

                        • Ronna L. Byam
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 24, 2006
                            The regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG will be held on Monday, 27 November, at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16 Avenue NW.  We will be discussing the use of newspapers in our research.  We will also be holding our pre-Christmas potluck social.  Please bring some munchies to share.  Soft drinks will be supplied.  Everyone welcome!
                            Ronna Byam
                            Chair, Ontario SIG
                          • Ronna L. Byam
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 25, 2007
                              The regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG will be tomorrow, Monday March 26th, at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16 Avenue NW.

                              Charlie Hansen will be providing a presentation on "Mailing Lists, Message Boards, Newsletters, Blogs and More Useful for Ontario Research".  Please come prepared to share your experiences, do's and don'ts, and other helpful hints about any of the above.

                              Everyone welcome!
                              Ronna Byam
                              Chair, Ontario SIG
                            • Ronna L. Byam
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 23 10:57 AM
                                This is a very late reminder that the regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG is being held tonight at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16 Avenue NW.  We will be discussing "How to find wills and probate records in Ontario".  Everyone welcome.
                                Ronna Byam
                                Chair, Ontario SIG
                              • Ronna L. Byam
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 24, 2007
                                  Hi Everyone,
                                  The regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG will be held tomorrow, Monday, June 25th, at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16th Avenue NW.   We will be discussing Ontario Church Records.  Please note that due to the construction on 16th Avenue, access is tricky.  Try to come in on 17th Avenue instead of 16th.
                                  This will be our last meeting before the summer break.  Everyone is welcome.
                                  Ronna Byam
                                  Chair, Ontario SIG
                                • Ronna L. Byam
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 22, 2007

                                    The Ontario SIG will be holding its first meeting of the season on Monday 24 September at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 - 16 Avenue NW.  We will be sharing our summer genealogy adventures with each other, and will also be discussing Grosse Ile, the quarantine station for incoming immigrants.  Everyone is welcome.  Bring your friends!
                                  • Ronna L. Byam
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 26, 2008

                                      Hi Everyone,

                                      This is a reminder that the next meeting of the Ontario SIG will be held Monday 28 January 2008 at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 – 16 Avenue SW.  We will be having an in-depth look at the Ontario databases available through ancestry.ca.

                                      Everyone is welcome.

                                      Ronna Byam

                                      Chair, Ontario SIG

                                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                                    • Ronna L. Byam
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 12, 2008

                                        Hi Everyone,

                                        I am sending out the reminder early as my computer will be shut down for awhile while I am moving.

                                        The regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG will be held on Monday 25 February 2008 (weather permitting!) at the AFHS Library at 712 – 16 Avenue NW.  As we had to cancel January’s meeting due to the severe weather, we will be moving the presentation originally scheduled for January to the February meeting.  This will be an in-depth look at the Ontario databases found at ancestry.ca

                                        Everyone welcome.

                                        Ronna Byam

                                        Chair, Ontario SIG

                                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                                      • Ronna L. Byam
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 27 4:57 PM

                                          Hi Everyone,

                                          The regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG is being held tomorrow April 28th at the AFHS Library at 712 – 16 Avenue NW at 7:00 pm.  We will be discussing “case studies” of searching for Ontario land records.  Anyone who has been successful in finding land records in Ontario, please come prepared to share with us.  Include how you found the land location, how you determined which film(s) to use, what you found, where you went from there, etc., etc.  Detail the whole process you went through to find the records.  Bring documents and pictures if you have them.  We will have access to the internet if you wish to use it for illustration.

                                          Also, if you are having a problem trying to find some Ontario land records, come prepared with details and we will see if we can help you.

                                          Everyone welcome!

                                          Ronna Byam

                                          Chair, Ontario SIG

                                          Checked by AVG.

                                        • Ronna L. Byam
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 24, 2008

                                            The regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG will be held on Monday, May 26th, at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 – 16 Avenue NW.  We will be exploring the changes to the OGS website, especially the new “Members Only” features.  We will also be finishing up our case studies of “Finding Ontario Land Records” focusing on tracing entries found in the Ontario Land Records Index (OLRI) and in the Index to the Upper Canada Land Books.

                                            Everyone and anyone welcome!

                                            Ronna Byam

                                            Chair, Ontario SIG

                                          • Ronna L. Byam
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 22, 2008

                                              The  regular monthly meeting of the Ontario SIG will be held this coming Monday, June 23rd, at 7:00 pm at the AFHS Library at 712 – 16 Avenue NW.  The 5 members who went to the OGS conference in Ontario will be reporting their experiences.

                                              Bring potluck goodies along for an end of the year social.

                                              Everyone welcome!

                                              Ronna Byam

                                              Chair, Ontario SIG

                                            • Marion Peterson
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 8, 2010
                                                Hello everyone,

                                                I've volunteered to co-ordinate the Ontario Special Interest Group (SIG) for the coming year.

                                                I'm starting to do some planning and brainstorming, so if you have any ideas for meeting topics or questions you would like answered, please send them to me. I'm hoping to delegate, so I'm looking for volunteers and/or suggestions of possible speakers.

                                                If you find any great websites, books or other resources about Ontario to recommend to others, please let me know.

                                                Lorna Laughton has forwarded the files and binders to me, but one thing we haven't figured out how to easily transfer is the Ontario SIG email distribution list. If you would like to be included for email messages about the Ontario SIG, please reply. This will help me compile the distribution list. I'm hoping to avoid having to type all of the email addresses!

                                                I've tentatively chosen the third Tuesday of the month for meetings.

                                                Marion Peterson