RE: National Burial Index (England and Wales)

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
      The Canadian post office handling fee is always $5.  So, to keep that cost proportionately lwo - be sure to order multiple items in, or buddy up with folks who also need items from the same source.  This is one of the reasons why you want to use services like Xenia's or Ken/Bev Rees for books/supplies - because they are bulk ordering all the time.

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel
      rempel@...

      and

      1906@...
      1906 Census Transcription Centre
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
        Thanks Zenia for your observations. It can get complicated when dealing with the customs people as well as the post office but one expects to pay some form of duty when ordering goods from another country. In your case, it is more than complicated - it is a nightmare!

        The reason I sent the message to dist-gen in the first place was not to complain about the amount I had to pay at the post office before collecting my parcel, but to alert other people who have ordered the NBI to the fact that they will have to pay a similar amount when their parcel arrives.

        It is a neat little package, by the way, with a foldout box containing 4 CDs and a nice, colorful background for each CD. According to the map on the box, my area of the West Riding of Yorkshire has the greatest number of burial entries - over 1,001,000.

        Rene