FW: Digital Archives

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5 5:13 PM
      Digital Archives
      Hi everyone,
      I took this from a news release today about the company I work for. Hopefully it will be followed by other states, provinces etc. but at least it's a small step in the right direction

      Gordon Lane
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      Microsoft Corp.and EDS joined today with Washington Secretary of State Sam Reed to unveil the first state Digital Archive system (http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov ) built from the ground up to save critical legal, government and historical documents for citizens. The system, which went online today at the state's new archive management center in Cheney, Wash., ...  to provide online access to tens of thousands of state and local documents of multiple formats -- information that previously could only be found in its original form or was scattered across thousands of disparate databases. The Digital Archive also will help preserve the state's history while simplifying citizen transactions with state government.

      "If Abraham Lincoln had written the Gettysburg Address on a laptop, we may not have it today," Reed said. "Government agencies in Washington have already lost more than 50 percent of their electronic, public records because we've had no means to preserve them until now. This solution allows us to freeze modern history for those who will live here in 2104 and beyond."

      The Digital Archive solution will provide significant cost savings by eliminating paper, integrating resources and making record transactions more efficient.

       ...  the system will continually "ingest" hundreds of thousands of digital records of varying content types, applying the appropriate metadata, and indexing and storing the assets so they can be retrieved and used in a timely manner. Each record is authenticated and secured with a digital "lock" that helps prevent tampering and protect the integrity of the original document. Records stored will include census, naturalization, military, birth, death, marriage and voter registration, property, and other historic records from the executive and legislative branches as well as other rare state archives.

      Gordon Lane, LCGI
      Service Center Analyst
      EDS at Petro-Canada

      ( phone: 403-296-4186
      + mailto:glane@...

      This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.  We honour similar requests relating to the privacy of email communications.

      Cette communication par courrier électronique est une communication privée à l'usage exclusif du destinataire principal ainsi que des personnes dont les noms figurent en copie.  Les renseignements contenus dans ce courriel sont confidentiels et si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, vous êtes avisé, par les présentes que toute reproduction, transfert ou autre forme de diffusion de cette communication par quelque moyen que ce soit est interdite.  Si vous n'êtes pas spécifiquement autorisé à recevoir ce courriel ou si vous croyez l'avoir reçu par erreur, veuillez en aviser l'expéditeur original immédiatement.  Nous respectons les demandes similaires qui touchent la confidentialité des communications par courrier électronique.