Re: National Burial Index (England and Wales)

  • RoseMarie Mclean
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
      Is there no end to which this Government will go to get money out of
      our pockets?? love, rm

      On Oct 5, 2004, at 6:57 PM, Rene Dussome wrote:

      > the list Address
      >

      > To: English Researchers:
      >
      > This is just to let you know that I received my copy of the NBI today.
      > I had
      > to pay $10.88 at the post office, made up as follows:
      >
      > Duty $ 2.63
      > GST $ 3.25
      > Handling Fee $ 5.00
      >
      > Incidentally, unlike the AFHS library, I did not receive e-mail
      > notification
      > that the NBI was in the mail.
      >
      > Rene Dussome
      >

      > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      >
      > http://www.family-roots.ca

      Kindness in a friend is more important than perfection. Anon.

      RoseMarie McLean
      Calgary/Kaslo
      CANADA
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
        That's not bad considering I ordered some items from the U.S. for roughly $35 U.S., which on my credit card came to $66 and some change Canadian. However, the post office greeted me at the door with a $3 Canadian GST and $33.00 in brokerage fees. As it turns out two of the items worth half the amount were not as depicted in their online catalogue. I had to pay $3.00 in shipping to return it to have my credit card credited for $13.50 U.S. This means I will have paid over $66.00 in all to receive one item worth about $12.50 U.S.

        Now I have to figure out if there is a way to challenge the brokerage fees!

        à bientôt,

        Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
        Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
          The Canadian post office handling fee is always $5.  So, to keep that cost proportionately lwo - be sure to order multiple items in, or buddy up with folks who also need items from the same source.  This is one of the reasons why you want to use services like Xenia's or Ken/Bev Rees for books/supplies - because they are bulk ordering all the time.

          In Kinship,
          Judith Rempel
          rempel@...

          and

          1906@...
          1906 Census Transcription Centre
          http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
            Thanks Zenia for your observations. It can get complicated when dealing with the customs people as well as the post office but one expects to pay some form of duty when ordering goods from another country. In your case, it is more than complicated - it is a nightmare!

            The reason I sent the message to dist-gen in the first place was not to complain about the amount I had to pay at the post office before collecting my parcel, but to alert other people who have ordered the NBI to the fact that they will have to pay a similar amount when their parcel arrives.

            It is a neat little package, by the way, with a foldout box containing 4 CDs and a nice, colorful background for each CD. According to the map on the box, my area of the West Riding of Yorkshire has the greatest number of burial entries - over 1,001,000.

            Rene