Re: Queen's Park Cemetery

  • Lynda Alderman
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 27, 2004
      the list Address

      Don

      Good to hear from you

      I'm going to be away for the next few days but will be in touch with you as
      soon as I get back.

      Lynda
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 27, 2004
        the list Address

        This is a huge accomplishment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations. I hope
        you also have noted unmarked graves there as well, as my family were pioneer
        Albertans (tombstones were expensive when they died after the agricultural
        problems of the 1930's and I have not had time to mark their existence, even
        though they are all on file at the Cemetery), so I would love to add what I
        found about them if they are not there on your lists.

        My grandmother and grandfather who are in the 1891 AB census are buried
        there as well as my great uncle born in 1901. I am looking forward to
        hearing how you will publish this data.

        Leslie

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
          the list Address

          Hello,

          I also have names, dates and locations of some relatives that are buried at
          Queen's Park Cemetery and do not have a tombstone.

          Please let me know if you need these.

          Joanne Elford

          > This is a huge accomplishment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations. I hope
          > you also have noted unmarked graves there as well, as my family were
          > pioneer
          > Albertans (tombstones were expensive when they died after the agricultural
          > problems of the 1930's and I have not had time to mark their existence,
          > even
          > though they are all on file at the Cemetery), so I would love to add what
          > found about them if they are not there on your lists.
          >
          > My grandmother and grandfather who are in the 1891 AB census are buried
          > there as well as my great uncle born in 1901. I am looking forward to
          > hearing how you will publish this data.
          >
          > Leslie

        • fredastewart
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
            the list Address

            Hi Lynda - what does data entry and checking entail? I will be glad to help
            if I can do so, depending on what it is you need.
            Freda Stewart
            > We are proud to announce the recording and photographing of the markers in
            > Queen's Park Cemetery has been completed...two summers of work by a
            > dedicated band of volunteers. There are over 55,000 burials in this
            > cemetery.
            >
            > This is the first stage of the work....creating a database of the
            > recordings
            > and adding the burial records and the photographs is even more time
            > consuming, especially the painstaking work of proof-reading all entries at
            > least twice. That work will continue over the winter and likely into next
            > summer. (If you have a few hours to donate, reply to this message and join
            > the data entry team.)
            >
            > The first 6 sections of Queen's Park (A to F) are indexed on the AFHS
            > website. The Jewish section is also available on the website.
            >
            > Thank you to these recorders and photographers for a job cheerfully and
            > well
            > done: (data entry volunteers will be mentioned at a later date): Spencer
            > Field, Heather Jaremko, Carol Lylyk, Judie Riddell, Bill Logan, Janice
            > Armstrong, Wayne McKenzie, Heather Williams, Marion Firman, Colleen
            > Hauswirth, Linda Holdaway, Lorna Theroux, Marlene Knott, Kay and Glenn
            > Clarke, Eleanora Wilson, Jean Carter, Kay Jamieson and Mandolin, Susan
            > Snowdon, Gary Manthorne, Louise Pennenbecker, Marlene Roy, Allison
            > Horwood,
            > Eloise Wigglesworth.
            >
            > Lynda, for the Projects Committee
            >

            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            >
            > http://www.family-roots.ca

          • The Kashubas
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
              the list Address

              >Hello Lynda,

              I too have an uncle buried in Queen's Park who is without a marker. I have
              the details on him.

              Kathy Kashuba

            • Jim & Lorna Stewart
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
                the list Address

                Hi Lynda..........I would be glad to help with data entry
                again..........Lorna Stewart

                > We are proud to announce the recording and photographing of the markers in
                > Queen's Park Cemetery has been completed...two summers of work by a
                > dedicated band of volunteers. There are over 55,000 burials in this
                > cemetery.
                >
                > This is the first stage of the work....creating a database of the
                > recordings
                > and adding the burial records and the photographs is even more time
                > consuming, especially the painstaking work of proof-reading all entries at
                > least twice. That work will continue over the winter and likely into next
                > summer. (If you have a few hours to donate, reply to this message and join
                > the data entry team.)
                >
                > The first 6 sections of Queen's Park (A to F) are indexed on the AFHS
                > website. The Jewish section is also available on the website.
                >
                > Thank you to these recorders and photographers for a job cheerfully and
                > well
                > done: (data entry volunteers will be mentioned at a later date): Spencer
                > Field, Heather Jaremko, Carol Lylyk, Judie Riddell, Bill Logan, Janice
                > Armstrong, Wayne McKenzie, Heather Williams, Marion Firman, Colleen
                > Hauswirth, Linda Holdaway, Lorna Theroux, Marlene Knott, Kay and Glenn
                > Clarke, Eleanora Wilson, Jean Carter, Kay Jamieson and Mandolin, Susan
                > Snowdon, Gary Manthorne, Louise Pennenbecker, Marlene Roy, Allison
                > Horwood,
                > Eloise Wigglesworth.
                >
                > Lynda, for the Projects Committee
                >

                > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                >
                > http://www.family-roots.ca

              • Larry McCool
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
                  the list Address

                  Don -- Will you please contact me directly using
                  the email address shown below. This is in regards to the surname Noble

                  Larry

                  Larry & Doreen McCool
                  Calgary, AB Canada
                  Our new address is
                  mccoollh@...
                  Our website is now at

                  > I'd be happy to help with the data entry for the Queen's Park Cemetery
                  > project. I haven't yet joined AFHS, but that's the plan as soon as I can
                  > free some time to get to a meeting.
                  >
                  > Don Noble
                  > Calgary
                  >

                  > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                  >
                  > http://www.family-roots.ca

                • Marlene Knott
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
                    the list Address

                    Lynda

                    And a BIG thank you to you for organizing the crew, arranging for mostly
                    good weather and keeping everyone in good spirits (no pun intended!)
                    with the thought that the end of recording that huge cemetery was in
                    sight. It was a fantastic job!!
                    Marlene

                    On Monday, September 27, 2004, at 08:49 PM, <lynda1alderman@...>
                    wrote:

                    > the list Address
                    >
                    > We are proud to announce the recording and photographing of the markers
                    > in
                    > Queen's Park Cemetery has been completed...two summers of work by a
                    > dedicated band of volunteers. There are over 55,000 burials in this
                    > cemetery.
                    >
                    > This is the first stage of the work....creating a database of the
                    > recordings
                    > and adding the burial records and the photographs is even more time
                    > consuming, especially the painstaking work of proof-reading all entries
                    > at
                    > least twice. That work will continue over the winter and likely into
                    > next
                    > summer. (If you have a few hours to donate, reply to this message and
                    > join
                    > the data entry team.)
                    >
                    > The first 6 sections of Queen's Park (A to F) are indexed on the AFHS
                    > website. The Jewish section is also available on the website.
                    >
                    > Thank you to these recorders and photographers for a job cheerfully and
                    > well
                    > done: (data entry volunteers will be mentioned at a later date):
                    > Spencer
                    > Field, Heather Jaremko, Carol Lylyk, Judie Riddell, Bill Logan, Janice
                    > Armstrong, Wayne McKenzie, Heather Williams, Marion Firman, Colleen
                    > Hauswirth, Linda Holdaway, Lorna Theroux, Marlene Knott, Kay and Glenn
                    > Clarke, Eleanora Wilson, Jean Carter, Kay Jamieson and Mandolin, Susan
                    > Snowdon, Gary Manthorne, Louise Pennenbecker, Marlene Roy, Allison
                    > Horwood,
                    > Eloise Wigglesworth.
                    >
                    > Lynda, for the Projects Committee
                    >

                    > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                    >
                    > http://www.family-roots.ca

                  • Dennis & Pat Morey
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
                      the list Address

                      I will do data entering. I would like to work from home if possible..

                      Pat Morey

                    • Judie Riddell
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
                        the list Address

                        There have been many comments from the group on whether people without
                        tombstones who are buried in Queen's Park will make our database.

                        The answer is Yes.

                        The Index that is online for Sections A to F includes every burial listed in
                        the burial books at the Queen's Park Office. The full data is available on
                        CD at the AFHS Library (a benefit of membership) along with the photos of
                        each tombstone. The CD with the full database for over 9300 entries and the
                        available photos from these sections should be available at the seminar and
                        thereafter

                        I spend 6 months (off and on) going through these burial books and adding
                        records of people who do not have tombstones. Therefore to the best of my
                        knowledge every one who was buried in those sections is listed with his or
                        herlocation and burial date. We also used these books to check the data we
                        already had.

                        I want to thank Marlene Knott, Heather Williams and Carol Lylyk for adding
                        this extra information into the already large database.

                        Section P which is the Field of Honour should be available within the next
                        month.

                        To that regard I would appreciate recieving your favourite Military Websites
                        so we can add them to the CD as well. Adding as many military links and
                        resources as we can will enhance the usefulness of the CD

                        I hope this helps explain the context of our work and will put to rest any
                        doubts that some people will not be in the database.

                        We are presently working on Section J. As the sections are complete we will
                        let you know that they are available at the Library.

                        Judie Riddell

                      • fredastewart
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 29, 2004
                          the list Address

                          Hi Judie: This past summer with company from Quebec, we went looking in
                          Queen's Park and found the burial sites of two cousins. They are in Section
                          K and I wondered if you have done that part yet. The couple is buried in one
                          site with no tombstone but we found the marker quite handily. If you haven't
                          done this yet I can give you the info if you wish. Let me know.
                          Freda Stewart

                          > There have been many comments from the group on whether people without
                          > tombstones who are buried in Queen's Park will make our database.
                          >
                          > The answer is Yes.
                          >
                          > The Index that is online for Sections A to F includes every burial listed
                          > in
                          > the burial books at the Queen's Park Office. The full data is available
                          > on
                          > CD at the AFHS Library (a benefit of membership) along with the photos of
                          > each tombstone. The CD with the full database for over 9300 entries and
                          > the
                          > available photos from these sections should be available at the seminar
                          > and
                          > thereafter
                          >
                          > I spend 6 months (off and on) going through these burial books and adding
                          > records of people who do not have tombstones. Therefore to the best of my
                          > knowledge every one who was buried in those sections is listed with his or
                          > herlocation and burial date. We also used these books to check the data
                          > we
                          > already had.
                          >
                          > I want to thank Marlene Knott, Heather Williams and Carol Lylyk for adding
                          > this extra information into the already large database.
                          >
                          > Section P which is the Field of Honour should be available within the next
                          > month.
                          >
                          > To that regard I would appreciate recieving your favourite Military
                          > Websites
                          > so we can add them to the CD as well. Adding as many military links and
                          > resources as we can will enhance the usefulness of the CD
                          >
                          > I hope this helps explain the context of our work and will put to rest any
                          > doubts that some people will not be in the database.
                          >
                          > We are presently working on Section J. As the sections are complete we
                          > will
                          > let you know that they are available at the Library.
                          >
                          > Judie Riddell
                          >

                          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                          >
                          > http://www.family-roots.ca

                        • Lynda Alderman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004
                            the list Address

                            Hi Pat,

                            Do you have Excel, and have you done cemetery data entry before?

                            Lynda
                            > I will do data entering. I would like to work from home if possible..
                            >
                            > Pat Morey
                            >

                            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                            >
                            > http://www.family-roots.ca

                          • Lynda Alderman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004
                              the list Address

                              Lorna,

                              How can I get recording sheets to you for data entry....is mail the best
                              way? I live at Bragg Creek and occasionally go to the city. For instance,
                              this week I'll be at a school on 26th St. and 17 Ave. SW on Thursday, all
                              day, and again the following Thursday, all day, if you could come by there
                              and pick them up. Otherwise, I could mail them to you.

                              Lynda
                              > Hi Lynda..........I would be glad to help with data entry
                              > again..........Lorna Stewart

                            • Lynda Alderman
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004
                                the list Address

                                Don

                                Do you have Excel on your computer? That's the program we use for data
                                entry.

                                I live in Bragg Creek but occasionally go the city for work etc. I could
                                meet you in the city some day, or I could mail the recording sheets to you.

                                Let me know.