Re: WWI Battles

  • wally whiteside
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2004
      Hi Joanne,

      the 49th has its own website.
      Go to google & type in 49th battalion and you will probably get the information you need. It was probably ypres.

      Wally Whiteside

      Joanne wrote:
      Hello,

      I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction.

      My grgr-uncle was part of the 49th Battalion of the Canadian Infantry. He died 28 October 1917 and is buried at the Nine Elms British Cemetery in Belgium. I would like to know what battle he would have been in when he died.

      I was going to order his military records, but found out that they do not state how or where the person died.

      Any ideas?

      Thank you.

      Joanne Elford
    • Ann Stewart
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2004
        Joanne, a friend of mine provided this which might help you.

        The 49th Battalion CEF was in the Third Canadian Infantry Division.

        The CEF entered the third battle of Ypres on October 26 of 1917.  The battle is better known as Passchendaele.  Between August and November the Commonwealth lost 250,000 soldiers and advanced a total of less than four miles.
        Ann Stewart