Re: WWI Battles

  • Larry McCool
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26 3:42 PM
      Have you tried contacting your nearest branch of the Royal Canadian Legion or if in the vicinity of Calgary, a trip to the War Museum across from the old Currie Barracks.

      Larry

      Larry & Doreen McCool
      Calgary, AB Canada
      Our new address is
      mccoollh@...
      Our website is now at
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26 4:10 PM
        Message
        Your first lead comes from the CWGC website, and that is that this cemetery was moved from somewhere els( it does not say where...

        I have never seen the war record of a infantry man who died in WW1, just those that lived, but I would imagine that your uncles war record will state something about where he died.

        You did say that your gr uncle was in the Canadia infantry, and you can order his war record from the National Archives...

        Rob B.

        I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction.

        My grgr-uncle was part of the 49th Battalion of the Canadian Infantry. He died 28 October 1917 and is buried at the Nine Elms British Cemetery in Belgium. I would like to know what battle he would have been in when he died.

        I was going to order his military records, but found out that they do not state how or where the person died.

        Any ideas?

        Thank you.

        Joanne Elford

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---

      • wally whiteside
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 26 4:46 PM
          Hi Joanne,

          the 49th has its own website.
          Go to google & type in 49th battalion and you will probably get the information you need. It was probably ypres.

          Wally Whiteside

          Joanne wrote:
          Hello,

          I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction.

          My grgr-uncle was part of the 49th Battalion of the Canadian Infantry. He died 28 October 1917 and is buried at the Nine Elms British Cemetery in Belgium. I would like to know what battle he would have been in when he died.

          I was going to order his military records, but found out that they do not state how or where the person died.

          Any ideas?

          Thank you.

          Joanne Elford
        • Nancy Carson
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 26 4:55 PM
            You could try looking for him on this VAC site:
            I've notice WWI isn't covered as well as WWII, but it will give you his military info if he's in there, plus where he's buried and a description of the cemetery. There's also a place there to send them an email requesting his records. Forget now just where I saw in that site.
            Nancy Carson

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 27 11:01 AM
              Joanne, a friend of mine provided this which might help you.

              The 49th Battalion CEF was in the Third Canadian Infantry Division.

              The CEF entered the third battle of Ypres on October 26 of 1917.  The battle is better known as Passchendaele.  Between August and November the Commonwealth lost 250,000 soldiers and advanced a total of less than four miles.
              Ann Stewart