Why we should congratulate Ian E. Wilson (or at least rejoice!)

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2004
      the list Address

      Upon further investigation to answer the questions I received regarding Ian
      E. Wilson's stand on the release of census data, I found the following:

      http://globalgenealogy.com/Census/Censummary.htm

      The National Archivist, Ian E. Wilson, has determined that records of
      Historic Census do have historical or archival value and are, in fact, a
      National Treasure. He has formally requested Statistics Canada to turn the
      nominal schedules of the 1906 Special Census of the Western Provinces
      (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba) over to his control.

      His official statement as follows:

      "For genealogists, census records are an essential tool for creating not
      only a sense of personal identity but also for forming connections with
      their country as the stories of their ancestors move across the expanse of
      time.

      The censuses of 1906 and 1911 are national treasures. The 1906 census draws
      a picture of Western Canada at a critical period in its development, marked
      by the arrival of many new immigrants and a quickly-developing economy. In
      the 1911 census, the Laurier era was ending on the promise that the new
      century belonged to Canada. Access to these historical riches is still being
      denied to Canadians three generations later."

      - can be found in full at

      http://www.statcan.ca/english/census96/archive.htm

      If you are further interested in his biography, you may find it at

      http://www.collectionscanada.ca/information-management/0612/06120106_e.html

      I hope this puts the lid on the can of worms I opened by sending out the
      announcement of his now official title and role. :-)

      à bientôt,

      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
      Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"

    • fredastewart
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 26, 2004
        the list Address

        Hi Xenia - Thank you for clarification relating to Ian Wilson's position is
        regarding census. In all our Canada Census Committee discussions I had never
        heard anything but positive regarding his position and it really only made
        sense that he would be appointed. In fact, his statement re historic value
        of the records has only added to our effort. When I think of 'some' who
        might have been appointed, well it doesn't bear thinking.
        Freda Stewart