RE: Librarian and Archivist of Canada/Bibliothécaire et archiviste du Canada

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2004
      the list Address

      Following my forwarding of a message from Andrée Delagrave (who was the one
      asking us to join her in congratulating him) I received several messages
      asking why we should congratulate him and what is his position on releasing
      1911 and later census data.

      First, I forwarded the message as information only since as genealogists we
      share an interest in archives of our country and not to necessarily condone
      his appointment.

      Second, I added some other archives that may be useful in Canadian
      research - again just as fyi.

      Third, Mr. Wilson was appointed Archivist for National Archives of Canada
      but not as National Librarian. I worked with an organization that suggested
      to the then Heritage Minister that these two positions be combined. I forget
      the reasons! Thus when the National Librarian went on to other posts and a
      bill was introduced to combine the two positions, Mr. Wilson was given the
      acting position of National Librarian. It is only this year that the Bill
      was acclaimed law and now he has been officially given the combined title
      and role.

      If his position on the census matter was negative at last contact and he has
      not changed his viewpoint, then I imagine this is no better news than
      before. As I said my action in forwarding the message was as FYI only.

      From the news release at
      http://www.pch.gc.ca/newsroom/news_e.cfm?Action=Display&code=4N0159E
      I note:

      "Library and Archives Canada is an innovative knowledge institution
      responsible to acquire and preserve Canada's documentary heritage in all its
      forms and to provide all Canadians with easy, one-stop access to the texts,
      photographs, books and other documents that reflect their cultural, social
      and political development."

      Thus in his role "to acquire and preserve Canada's documentary heritage in
      all its forms and to provide all Canadians with easy, one-stop access to the
      texts, photographs, books and other documents that reflect their cultural,
      social and political development" he should be acquiring and preserving the
      census records and providing us with "easy, one-stop access", if he is not
      already.

      So this statement should serve as more ammunition in the fight for the
      preservation and release of census of 1911 and those beyond!

      à bientôt,

      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
      Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"