Re: Family Papers Collection

  • fredastewart
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 19, 2004
      the list Address

      Hi - just checked my 'book' and I am booked to the digitization work on
      October 7th, Thursday at 10:00 am.
      Freda Stewart
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
        the list Address

        A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
        Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
        Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of Directors
        had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
        detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
        30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
        confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
        deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
        with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
        mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
        decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
        to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
        has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
        reply to our appeal. None was received.

        I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
        2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
        have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
        mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
        information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am not
        at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
        the Family Papers Collection visit.

        I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
        the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
        their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
        it is
        any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my files
        to their original condition.

        Regretfully

        Bill Mumford

      • Gord Hulbert
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
          the list Address

          Hi Bill:

          I just got home from the Board meeting. I guess Heater Jaremko beat me
          home, because she called before I got home. Her husband is in the
          'digitising business. Her message was, he'd be happy to do Dennis'
          presentation. I know nothing of his qualifications or anything about the
          man himself. There's always Visutek (sp?). Please don't 'give up the ship'
          :).

          Regards,

          Gord Hulbert
          403-240-4636

          Gordon@...

          > A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
          > Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
          > Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of
          Directors
          > had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
          > detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
          > 30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
          > confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
          > deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
          > with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
          > mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
          > decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
          > to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
          > has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
          > reply to our appeal. None was received.
          >
          > I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
          > 2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
          > have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
          > mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
          > information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am
          not
          > at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
          > the Family Papers Collection visit.
          >
          > I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
          > the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
          > their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
          > it is
          > any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my
          files
          > to their original condition.
          >
          > Regretfully
          >
          > Bill Mumford
          >

          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          >
          > http://www.family-roots.ca

          > $0 Web Hosting with up to 120MB web space, 1000 MB Transfer
          > Signup at www.doteasy.com

        • Donna Coulter
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
            the list Address

            What a dreadful disappointment .

            However all is not lost.---just call me Polly Anna.

            Everyone who gathered their pictures and certificates, everything that they
            intended having scanned and stored. Can now store it on their own CD. Some
            good will come out of all the work you folks did.

            There are those who have already done just that. But many of us have
            procrastinated until now.

            Now is the time. Review those notes that compu-sig speakers gave us and DO
            IT.

            Donna Coulter.

            > A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
            > Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
            > Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of
            Directors
            > had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
            > detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
            > 30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
            > confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
            > deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
            > with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
            > mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
            > decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
            > to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
            > has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
            > reply to our appeal. None was received.
            >
            > I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
            > 2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
            > have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
            > mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
            > information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am
            not
            > at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
            > the Family Papers Collection visit.
            >
            > I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
            > the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
            > their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
            > it is
            > any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my
            files
            > to their original condition.
            >
            > Regretfully
            >
            > Bill Mumford
            >

            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            >
            > http://www.family-roots.ca

            ---

          • fredastewart
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 21, 2004
              the list Address

              Hi Bill - I am sorry for all the work you put into this project, just to
              have it dumped down the tube. I suppose NGS has their reasons for their last
              minute cancellation - and perhaps in time they will share those reasons. On
              the surface of the issue, their actions do make one wonder about their
              overall motives and credibility. Maybe at this time we are better off out of
              it. Perhaps we need to look to our own National level for a Canadian data
              bank - just a thought as I sit here sympathizing with you.
              Freda Stewart