Family Papers Collection

  • Bill Mumford
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 19, 2004
      the list Address

      In just two short weeks the National Genealogical Society's Family Papers
      Collection team will arrive in Calgary. This is a wonderful opportunity to
      have your family papers and photos recorded in digital form at no cost to
      you. For full details log on to www.afhs.ab.ca or www.family-roots.ca and
      look for the link to the Family Papers Collection.

      The NGS team of Dennis and Carla Ridenour will discuss the Family Papers
      Collection at the next AFHS regular meeting, (October 4th 7:15 PM at the
      Christian Reformed Church, 14a Street and 37th Ave S.W.). They will make
      another presentation on the selection and use of digital cameras at the
      Computer SIG meeting the following Saturday (October 9th, 10:00AM in the
      lounge of the LDS Stake House at 17th Ave and 19a Street S.W) They complete
      the hat trick with a third talk at Family Roots 2004 on "Using Your Camera
      as a Research Assistant". (October 16th, Carriage House Inn, 90th Ave and
      McLeod Trail S.W.) Both of the Ridenours have been featured speakers at
      numerous national genealogical seminars. Dennis recently retired from
      Lucent Technologies and is an expert on the use of digital cameras and the
      creation of multimedia presentations. His wife, Carla, is the former editor
      of the NGS Newsmagazine and currently edits the NGS on line newsletter,
      UpFront. Both are expert genealogists of long standing and have created a
      number of very imaginative multimedia presentations of family data. (Some
      of you might remember "I'm My Own Grandpa" (The Mumford Family Tree) from
      Family Roots 2002.)

      The team has visited Dallas and Oklahoma City in the last few months and
      recorded over 70, 000 digital images of a variety of family papers, photos,
      etc. Calgary is their third stop. The selection of our city was no
      accident. The AFHS has a reputation as a very active group and was
      presented an award for technical excellence in 2000 by the New England
      Historical and Genealogical Society. I'm sure their choice will be
      justified.

      Any questions can be addressed to Bill Mumford at mumford@... or
      phone 933-2881 (leave a message and your phone number on the machine if no
      answer. This is a local call from Calgary.)

    • fredastewart
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 19, 2004
        the list Address

        Hi - just checked my 'book' and I am booked to the digitization work on
        October 7th, Thursday at 10:00 am.
        Freda Stewart
        > In just two short weeks the National Genealogical Society's Family Papers
        > Collection team will arrive in Calgary. This is a wonderful opportunity
        > have your family papers and photos recorded in digital form at no cost to
        > you. For full details log on to www.afhs.ab.ca or www.family-roots.ca and
        > look for the link to the Family Papers Collection.
        >
        > The NGS team of Dennis and Carla Ridenour will discuss the Family Papers
        > Collection at the next AFHS regular meeting, (October 4th 7:15 PM at the
        > Christian Reformed Church, 14a Street and 37th Ave S.W.). They will make
        > another presentation on the selection and use of digital cameras at the
        > Computer SIG meeting the following Saturday (October 9th, 10:00AM in the
        > lounge of the LDS Stake House at 17th Ave and 19a Street S.W) They
        > complete
        > the hat trick with a third talk at Family Roots 2004 on "Using Your Camera
        > as a Research Assistant". (October 16th, Carriage House Inn, 90th Ave and
        > McLeod Trail S.W.) Both of the Ridenours have been featured speakers at
        > numerous national genealogical seminars. Dennis recently retired from
        > Lucent Technologies and is an expert on the use of digital cameras and the
        > creation of multimedia presentations. His wife, Carla, is the former
        > editor
        > of the NGS Newsmagazine and currently edits the NGS on line newsletter,
        > UpFront. Both are expert genealogists of long standing and have created
        > number of very imaginative multimedia presentations of family data. (Some
        > of you might remember "I'm My Own Grandpa" (The Mumford Family Tree) from
        > Family Roots 2002.)
        >
        > The team has visited Dallas and Oklahoma City in the last few months and
        > recorded over 70, 000 digital images of a variety of family papers,
        > photos,
        > etc. Calgary is their third stop. The selection of our city was no
        > accident. The AFHS has a reputation as a very active group and was
        > presented an award for technical excellence in 2000 by the New England
        > Historical and Genealogical Society. I'm sure their choice will be
        > justified.
        >
        > Any questions can be addressed to Bill Mumford at mumford@... or
        > phone 933-2881 (leave a message and your phone number on the machine if no
        > answer. This is a local call from Calgary.)
        >

        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >
        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Bill Mumford
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
          the list Address

          A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
          Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
          Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of Directors
          had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
          detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
          30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
          confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
          deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
          with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
          mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
          decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
          to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
          has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
          reply to our appeal. None was received.

          I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
          2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
          have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
          mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
          information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am not
          at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
          the Family Papers Collection visit.

          I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
          the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
          their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
          it is
          any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my files
          to their original condition.

          Regretfully

          Bill Mumford

        • Gord Hulbert
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
            the list Address

            Hi Bill:

            I just got home from the Board meeting. I guess Heater Jaremko beat me
            home, because she called before I got home. Her husband is in the
            'digitising business. Her message was, he'd be happy to do Dennis'
            presentation. I know nothing of his qualifications or anything about the
            man himself. There's always Visutek (sp?). Please don't 'give up the ship'
            :).

            Regards,

            Gord Hulbert
            403-240-4636

            Gordon@...

            > A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
            > Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
            > Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of
            Directors
            > had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
            > detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
            > 30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
            > confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
            > deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
            > with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
            > mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
            > decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
            > to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
            > has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
            > reply to our appeal. None was received.
            >
            > I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
            > 2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
            > have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
            > mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
            > information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am
            not
            > at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
            > the Family Papers Collection visit.
            >
            > I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
            > the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
            > their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
            > it is
            > any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my
            files
            > to their original condition.
            >
            > Regretfully
            >
            > Bill Mumford
            >

            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            >
            > http://www.family-roots.ca

            > $0 Web Hosting with up to 120MB web space, 1000 MB Transfer
            > Signup at www.doteasy.com

          • Donna Coulter
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
              the list Address

              What a dreadful disappointment .

              However all is not lost.---just call me Polly Anna.

              Everyone who gathered their pictures and certificates, everything that they
              intended having scanned and stored. Can now store it on their own CD. Some
              good will come out of all the work you folks did.

              There are those who have already done just that. But many of us have
              procrastinated until now.

              Now is the time. Review those notes that compu-sig speakers gave us and DO
              IT.

              Donna Coulter.

              > A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
              > Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
              > Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of
              Directors
              > had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
              > detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
              > 30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
              > confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
              > deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
              > with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
              > mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
              > decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
              > to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
              > has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
              > reply to our appeal. None was received.
              >
              > I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
              > 2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
              > have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
              > mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
              > information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am
              not
              > at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
              > the Family Papers Collection visit.
              >
              > I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
              > the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
              > their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
              > it is
              > any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my
              files
              > to their original condition.
              >
              > Regretfully
              >
              > Bill Mumford
              >

              > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              >
              > http://www.family-roots.ca

              ---

            • fredastewart
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 21, 2004
                the list Address

                Hi Bill - I am sorry for all the work you put into this project, just to
                have it dumped down the tube. I suppose NGS has their reasons for their last
                minute cancellation - and perhaps in time they will share those reasons. On
                the surface of the issue, their actions do make one wonder about their
                overall motives and credibility. Maybe at this time we are better off out of
                it. Perhaps we need to look to our own National level for a Canadian data
                bank - just a thought as I sit here sympathizing with you.
                Freda Stewart