Plain Text Versus HTML

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2004
      Good Morning!

      Further to my comments at the meeting last Saturday about choosing the text
      format for your incoming or outgoing e-mail messages, I quote the following
      from the Outlook Help menu:

      Plain text A message format that doesn't support text formatting, such as
      bold, italic, or colored fonts. It also doesn't support pictures displayed
      directly in the message body (although they can be included as attachments).
      All e-mail programs can display plain text messages accurately.

      HTML A message format that supports text formatting, numbering, bullets,
      alignment, horizontal lines, pictures (including backgrounds), HTML styles,
      and Web pages. You can also use stationery and signatures with this format.
      All Web pages use HTML, as do most popular e-mail programs, including
      Outlook 98, Outlook Express 4.0, Eudora 4.0, and Netscape Messenger 4.0. To
      date, the America Online e-mail system does not.

      * * *

      To change the default setting on your outgoing e-mails select:

      Tools
      Mail Format

      Choose Plain text or HTML from the dropdown menu opposite the "Send in this
      message format" statement.

      * * *

      To change the text format when replying to an incoming HTML message:

      Highlight all the text to which you are replying
      Select Format
      Change to plain text format

      * * *

      Lynn Taylor commented that there is a way to automatically change all
      incoming e-mails so that you receive them in plain text. Perhaps she will
      send us a separate message with this instruction.

      Hope this helps all of you who, like me, have been challenged when answering
      e-mails received in HTML format.

      Rene Dussome