French SIG - French Genealogy online (Judii - please note)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2002
      Since we do not have an official mailing list for the French SIG I am
      posting the news to the whole AFHS list in the hopes it will bring more
      French folk out of hiding to join the SIG.

      Also I would like Judii to post the following on the AFHS website under the
      Geographic section on France - when she has time:

      Geneactes

      To find French acts (actes) of Baptism (Baptêmes), Marriage (Mariage) and
      Burials (Sépultures) (or after 1789 modern French records of births,
      marriages, deaths) online go to the following site:

      http://www.geneactes.org/

      Most are in French, though an English version is available for some of the
      explanatory notes. However, with the above translations and a few others you
      should be able to figure it out. There is a site at
      http://www.systranlinks.com/systran/cgi where you can receive instant
      translations from French to English and vice versa as well as other
      languages. If this still does not help, email me at president@...
      and I will answer brief questions.

      The Geneactes site is a collection of databases compiled (and still in
      progress). Some databases are currently small due to the amount of indexing
      to date. These usually list all available acts. The larger databases show
      the number of acts by date and surname range with search forms to find
      particular ancestors. Some give links to where you can write or email for a
      search or request further information. There are some census records as
      well.

      This is not a comprehensive site for all French records as France does not
      have one central place from which to request vital records. Each "mairie"
      (town hall) is in charge of recording these acts (since 1789 and before that
      churches were responsible for keeping vital records). Therefore, the
      ancestor's exact place of origin must be known to obtain an official record.
      Records for the last 100 years (varies by type of record) are kept in the
      townhall and restricted to individual identified on record or next-of-kin in
      case of death of individual.

      Records older than 100 years are sent to the "département" for all towns
      within its jurisdiction. Départements are somewhat equivalent to English
      counties though in France there 83 such divisions. Each one has a city
      designated as the "préfecture" (capital city) or "sous-préfecture" (if not
      the capital of the département) where the records are stored.

      The vital records prior to 1789 kept by parishes, dioceses and
      archbishoprics were transferred to a département following the
      reorganization of archives following the French Revolution. The new
      divisions are not always equivalent to the old ones. Therefore, it is
      important to know in what current jurisdiction the records for former
      divisions are now found. Also the borders of the post-Revolution divisions
      have not been static since 1789 causing even more confusion. These divisions
      and where the records may now be found will be explained more fully in my
      book "Finding Your Ancestors in France" to be published in late 2002.

      Each département is also known by a number (e.g. Paris (Seine/Paris) is 75).
      There is an index of the départements by number (only) for which indexing
      has been contributed to the project. This index is found at
      http://www.geneabank.org/cgi-bin/listdatabase.pl. Again my book will give
      the list of names and corresponding numbers.

      The bonus once a date and location of any one act is found, particularly for
      those post-Revolution, it will be part of a complete "family record" for the
      individual eliminating the need to find each vital record separately
      (usually the records are found in the jurisdiction for the individual's
      birthplace). Sending a letter with a self-addressed return envelope and two
      international reply coupons will give you a package that includes the birth,
      marriages, divorces and death for the particular individual. All for the
      same price - $0!

      GeneaNet

      Another useful site for French genealogy and other locales is GeneaNet at
      http://www.geneanet.org/index.php3?lang=en (English version) where you can
      search your ancestor's surname and narrow by location and year to see if
      anyone else is searching for the same name. Then you are directed to either
      the other searcher's webpage and/or email link.

      If you want to join the French SIG to be put on an email list for further
      updates or to ask questions of each other, please let me know.

      Some news - not for publication on the AFHS site - is that my
      French-Canadian "cousins" returned to Quebec. It is sad for us as we will
      miss them but not sad for them as they are back in "their element" as they
      put it. Culture-shock was too much though they loved the mountains! Good
      news though for us as well as they promised to do some look-ups for me when
      I cannot make it to Montreal or Quebec city to do so in person.

      à bientôt,

      Enter Xenia as a search term at http://globalgazette.net/ to find my column
      "Nos Racines Francaises"
      Local book and magazine sales:
      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564