Legal description.

  • Larry McCool
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2004
      the list Address

      Does anyone have a website address where a person can follow a legal
      description of property?
      I have a set of copies of a land grant application of William Hays of Eno?
      Alberta showing the description of SW ¼ Sec 27 Township 29 Range 20 West of
      the 4th.
      A search for municipal legal descriptions didn't help unless I am doing it
      all wrong. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
      Also is there a site where I can D/L a map of these different municipalities
      showing the legals

      Larry

      Larry & Doreen McCool
      Calgary, AB Canada
      Our new address is
      mccoollh@...
      Our website is now at

    • Leslie
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2004
        the list Address

        This is what I use to locate the land in 2 steps
        1. http://www.maptown.com/coordinates.html

        2. http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/index_e.php

        it is a bit tedious but works

        Leslie
        PS thank to AFHS for the links!

        > Does anyone have a website address where a person can follow a legal
        > description of property?
        > I have a set of copies of a land grant application of William Hays of Eno?
        > Alberta showing the description of SW ¼ Sec 27 Township 29 Range 20 West
        of
        > the 4th.
        > A search for municipal legal descriptions didn't help unless I am doing it
        > all wrong. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
        > Also is there a site where I can D/L a map of these different
        municipalities
        > showing the legals
        >
        > Larry
        >
        > Larry & Doreen McCool
        > Calgary, AB Canada
        > Our new address is
        > mccoollh@...
        > Our website is now at
        > http://www3.telus.net/public/mccoollh/index.html
        >

        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >
        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Gordon Williams
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2004
          Larry:

          The southwest corner of the property would be 172 miles (plus about two miles extra for road allowances) north of the US Border and 117 miles (plus about 1.5 miles for road allowances) west of the Alberta-Saskatchewan Boundary.  This puts it on the southeast edge of Drumheller and just west of the junction of the Rosebud and Red Deer Rivers.

          A good reference map that covers the entire Province and shows land descriptions down to the Section level, is the Provincial Base Map, 1:1,000,000 Scale, published by Alberta Forestry, Lands and Wildlife, available for about $15 from Maptown.

          Gordon Williams