Re: UK address

  • ANN WILLIAMS
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
      the list Address

      Urban District I would say - an area comprising more than just the town
      named.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
        the list Address

        U.D. indicates "Urban District"

        County councils were set up in 1889 in the UK. In 1894 these county councils
        were subdivided into a lower level of adminstration for several purposes
        with powers depending upong the type of area concerned. These divisions of a
        county council were as follows:
        CB = county borough - set up only in cities and large towns
        Borough (Not quite sure what code was used)
        UD = urban district
        RD = rural district

        The rural districts especially were further sub-divided into civil parishes,
        which could, but not necessarily, correspond with the boundaries and/or
        names of ecclesiastical parishes.

        In 1974 the system was reorganized into fewer levels but I understand these
        subdivisions were brought back in England in the late 1990s.

        Several other countries, e.g. Australia, and at least some U.S. states, e.g.
        Maryland, also use UD for Urban District and as we know New York City uses
        boroughs. Also several use RD to distinguish from UD. However, the full set
        of CB, Borough, UD and RD was used in the British Isles from 1894-1974 and
        may be in use again. I cannot confirm when it came back into use and/or if
        it was brought back intact as I was "told" it was brought back but no
        further details. I consider my source, a British researcher who has been
        around awhile, reliable so if he says it is back, I would assume it is.

        Thus I am not sure whether the address of U.D. was at the time of the vital
        event you mention or whether it is that now. I would assume it was at the
        time of her birth.

        à bientôt,

        http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
        Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2004
          the list Address

          Hi Ann,

          According to my understanding an urban district is not necessarily "an area
          comprising more than just the town named". It could be as large as a small
          town or smaller than a larger town or city. London, in fact, was comprised
          of 32 boroughs and several urban districts.

          The rural districts were the areas surrounding the urban districts and the
          town/city boroughs. Rural districts were described as having the typical
          shape of a doughnut with the towns/cities with their boroughs and urban
          districts forming the hole in the centre.

          London was comprised of over 32 boroughs and urban districts. The borders of
          small towns (which were considered "one borough") could be exactly the same
          as the urban district. The reason for this is the different functions of the
          "borough" and the districts.

          County boroughs shared responsibilities with town and city boroughs for
          strategic services. Town and city boroughs could appoint mayors. Rural and
          urban districts did not have the same powers as a borough council nor did
          their "head" have the same authority or duties of a mayor. These district
          councils looked after necessary "evils" rather strategic matters. e.g.
          sanitation (sewer & garbage). I also think they had responsibility for
          postal services, which is why addresses during the period used the U.D.
          designation.

          I could be wrong but my conclusions are supported by several online
          encyclopedias as well as a document I cannot locate at the moment that
          showed the 32 boroughs and urban districts of London and the corresponding
          designations now. (A certified genealogist in London referred to this
          document when I was attempting to locate a will probated during that time
          frame.)

          For more see these sources:
          http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Rural%20district
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_district

          Also from another source, which I did not identify in my notes (hate it when
          I do that), I quote:
          "In 1888 boroughs were divided into two sorts: county boroughs with powers
          similar to those of counties, and the ordinary municipal boroughs. Smaller
          towns were made into urban districts in 1894.

          Various Reform acts gave more seats to the expanding boroughs, while
          disfranchising smaller ones. After 1884 voters in county and borough seats
          had the same franchise so the distinction was now less important.

          In 1974 the old division between county and borough came to an end, with
          England being divided below county level into districts."

          Hope that clarifies without being more confusing!