RE: UK address

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
      the list Address

      Karen:

      U.D. means Urban District. It is more commonly shown as U.S.D. which means
      Urban Sanitary District.

      Rene Dussome

      Just received birth certificate for my grandmother.The street address where
      she was born gives house number then street name then "U.D".This is probably
      common, but I've not come across this before.Can anyone tell me what it
      stands
      for? Thanks,Karen

    • ANN WILLIAMS
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
        the list Address

        Urban District I would say - an area comprising more than just the town
        named.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
          the list Address

          U.D. indicates "Urban District"

          County councils were set up in 1889 in the UK. In 1894 these county councils
          were subdivided into a lower level of adminstration for several purposes
          with powers depending upong the type of area concerned. These divisions of a
          county council were as follows:
          CB = county borough - set up only in cities and large towns
          Borough (Not quite sure what code was used)
          UD = urban district
          RD = rural district

          The rural districts especially were further sub-divided into civil parishes,
          which could, but not necessarily, correspond with the boundaries and/or
          names of ecclesiastical parishes.

          In 1974 the system was reorganized into fewer levels but I understand these
          subdivisions were brought back in England in the late 1990s.

          Several other countries, e.g. Australia, and at least some U.S. states, e.g.
          Maryland, also use UD for Urban District and as we know New York City uses
          boroughs. Also several use RD to distinguish from UD. However, the full set
          of CB, Borough, UD and RD was used in the British Isles from 1894-1974 and
          may be in use again. I cannot confirm when it came back into use and/or if
          it was brought back intact as I was "told" it was brought back but no
          further details. I consider my source, a British researcher who has been
          around awhile, reliable so if he says it is back, I would assume it is.

          Thus I am not sure whether the address of U.D. was at the time of the vital
          event you mention or whether it is that now. I would assume it was at the
          time of her birth.

          à bientôt,

          http://www.knowmap.com/age/
          Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
          Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2004
            the list Address

            Hi Ann,

            According to my understanding an urban district is not necessarily "an area
            comprising more than just the town named". It could be as large as a small
            town or smaller than a larger town or city. London, in fact, was comprised
            of 32 boroughs and several urban districts.

            The rural districts were the areas surrounding the urban districts and the
            town/city boroughs. Rural districts were described as having the typical
            shape of a doughnut with the towns/cities with their boroughs and urban
            districts forming the hole in the centre.

            London was comprised of over 32 boroughs and urban districts. The borders of
            small towns (which were considered "one borough") could be exactly the same
            as the urban district. The reason for this is the different functions of the
            "borough" and the districts.

            County boroughs shared responsibilities with town and city boroughs for
            strategic services. Town and city boroughs could appoint mayors. Rural and
            urban districts did not have the same powers as a borough council nor did
            their "head" have the same authority or duties of a mayor. These district
            councils looked after necessary "evils" rather strategic matters. e.g.
            sanitation (sewer & garbage). I also think they had responsibility for
            postal services, which is why addresses during the period used the U.D.
            designation.

            I could be wrong but my conclusions are supported by several online
            encyclopedias as well as a document I cannot locate at the moment that
            showed the 32 boroughs and urban districts of London and the corresponding
            designations now. (A certified genealogist in London referred to this
            document when I was attempting to locate a will probated during that time
            frame.)

            For more see these sources:
            http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Rural%20district
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_district

            Also from another source, which I did not identify in my notes (hate it when
            I do that), I quote:
            "In 1888 boroughs were divided into two sorts: county boroughs with powers
            similar to those of counties, and the ordinary municipal boroughs. Smaller
            towns were made into urban districts in 1894.

            Various Reform acts gave more seats to the expanding boroughs, while
            disfranchising smaller ones. After 1884 voters in county and borough seats
            had the same franchise so the distinction was now less important.

            In 1974 the old division between county and borough came to an end, with
            England being divided below county level into districts."

            Hope that clarifies without being more confusing!