UK address

  • khall@telus.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3 6:01 PM
      the list Address

      Just received birth certificate for my grandmother.The street address where
      she was born gives house number then street name then "U.D".This is probably
      common, but I've not come across this before.Can anyone tell me what it stands
      for? Thanks,Karen

    • Rene Dussome
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3 7:46 PM
        the list Address

        Karen:

        U.D. means Urban District. It is more commonly shown as U.S.D. which means
        Urban Sanitary District.

        Rene Dussome

        Just received birth certificate for my grandmother.The street address where
        she was born gives house number then street name then "U.D".This is probably
        common, but I've not come across this before.Can anyone tell me what it
        stands
        for? Thanks,Karen

      • ANN WILLIAMS
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3 8:16 PM
          the list Address

          Urban District I would say - an area comprising more than just the town
          named.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3 8:30 PM
            the list Address

            U.D. indicates "Urban District"

            County councils were set up in 1889 in the UK. In 1894 these county councils
            were subdivided into a lower level of adminstration for several purposes
            with powers depending upong the type of area concerned. These divisions of a
            county council were as follows:
            CB = county borough - set up only in cities and large towns
            Borough (Not quite sure what code was used)
            UD = urban district
            RD = rural district

            The rural districts especially were further sub-divided into civil parishes,
            which could, but not necessarily, correspond with the boundaries and/or
            names of ecclesiastical parishes.

            In 1974 the system was reorganized into fewer levels but I understand these
            subdivisions were brought back in England in the late 1990s.

            Several other countries, e.g. Australia, and at least some U.S. states, e.g.
            Maryland, also use UD for Urban District and as we know New York City uses
            boroughs. Also several use RD to distinguish from UD. However, the full set
            of CB, Borough, UD and RD was used in the British Isles from 1894-1974 and
            may be in use again. I cannot confirm when it came back into use and/or if
            it was brought back intact as I was "told" it was brought back but no
            further details. I consider my source, a British researcher who has been
            around awhile, reliable so if he says it is back, I would assume it is.

            Thus I am not sure whether the address of U.D. was at the time of the vital
            event you mention or whether it is that now. I would assume it was at the
            time of her birth.

            à bientôt,

            http://www.knowmap.com/age/
            Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
            Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4 12:10 AM
              the list Address

              Hi Ann,

              According to my understanding an urban district is not necessarily "an area
              comprising more than just the town named". It could be as large as a small
              town or smaller than a larger town or city. London, in fact, was comprised
              of 32 boroughs and several urban districts.

              The rural districts were the areas surrounding the urban districts and the
              town/city boroughs. Rural districts were described as having the typical
              shape of a doughnut with the towns/cities with their boroughs and urban
              districts forming the hole in the centre.

              London was comprised of over 32 boroughs and urban districts. The borders of
              small towns (which were considered "one borough") could be exactly the same
              as the urban district. The reason for this is the different functions of the
              "borough" and the districts.

              County boroughs shared responsibilities with town and city boroughs for
              strategic services. Town and city boroughs could appoint mayors. Rural and
              urban districts did not have the same powers as a borough council nor did
              their "head" have the same authority or duties of a mayor. These district
              councils looked after necessary "evils" rather strategic matters. e.g.
              sanitation (sewer & garbage). I also think they had responsibility for
              postal services, which is why addresses during the period used the U.D.
              designation.

              I could be wrong but my conclusions are supported by several online
              encyclopedias as well as a document I cannot locate at the moment that
              showed the 32 boroughs and urban districts of London and the corresponding
              designations now. (A certified genealogist in London referred to this
              document when I was attempting to locate a will probated during that time
              frame.)

              For more see these sources:
              http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Rural%20district
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_district

              Also from another source, which I did not identify in my notes (hate it when
              I do that), I quote:
              "In 1888 boroughs were divided into two sorts: county boroughs with powers
              similar to those of counties, and the ordinary municipal boroughs. Smaller
              towns were made into urban districts in 1894.

              Various Reform acts gave more seats to the expanding boroughs, while
              disfranchising smaller ones. After 1884 voters in county and borough seats
              had the same franchise so the distinction was now less important.

              In 1974 the old division between county and borough came to an end, with
              England being divided below county level into districts."

              Hope that clarifies without being more confusing!