Warning: Spam on Dist-gen

  • Charlie Hansen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2004
      the list Address

      Hi All,

      The last few days I have received several e-mails through dist-gen
      that my spam filter (PopFile) has tagged as spam. My ISP's
      (Telus) spam filter did not catch all of them. The subject on these
      latest missed e-mails is RE[some number]. Their size is 16 or 17kb
      and they appear to have a .gif attachment with various file names.
      The gif attachment seems to be malformed (not proper gif format)
      if I look at the binary file. Although real .gif files should not harbour
      malware, I would suggest that if you receive any of these e-mails
      that are not caught by your spam filters, that you immediately
      delete them without trying to open them.

      Apologies for this off-topic posting, but I am upset that spammers
      have found our dist-gen list. I have been getting other spams from
      dist-gen for almost a month.

      Regards,
      Charlie